A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

VistaBootPRO: What would you like it to be able to do?

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Rescue CD's, Recovery Console, GRUB

Postby fastguy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:42 am

Hi,

I would be very happy if it would be possible to add "recovery console" or "MiniPE like installation entries using VistaBootPRo.

The problem is, VBP does not let you give a "boot sector" or boot loader, but only lets you to select a Drive Letter.

Think of "bootpart" as an example tool which lets you add any boot sector into your boot.ini and let's you use the NTLDR to boot Linux.

In my example, I have Recovery Console and MiniPE HDD install on my disk. MiniPE is on a seperate partition, Recovery Console is on the same partition as XP. The only way I know currently to add them to Vista Boot Loader is to have them ready in boot.ini, then Setup Vista. Vista recognizes them and adds them to the boot menu. I'm sure it's also possible to add them using BCDedit, but I'm too lazy to learn it at the moment.

Best regards,

Fast
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:55 am

That is great input thank you very much fastguy...oh and welcome to PROnetworks ^*^

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Graphite » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:54 am

I would like to see a different colour for each entry in the bootup screen if this is possible?

Also I would like to be able to list all the boot options by name instead of 'earlier windows' - or whatever it says now... :roleeyes

I currently have a quad boot system - Win98SE, WinXP Pro, Vista32 and Vista64 - all working fine.

I found VBP looking for something to edit the boot text as I had vista listed twice with nothing to diffferentiate 32 and 64 bit installs :confused

So all sorted now - excellent product & easy to use - Thanks.

G :huzzah:
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:41 pm

Different colors in the boot screen would have to do with the Bootmgr file and possibly bcdedit.exe itself, but that is a good point.......
PRO PLATINUM

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:12 pm

It would be great if it had multilingual capability IMO.

You'd just have to transfer all the written text in the app into an English language folder, and modify the app so that it accessed these language files instead of hardwiring the text into the software itself.

Then if you could find people to translate the text files, it could be a multilingual app that would have far more international appeal than at present :yesnod:
PRO VETERAN

triple boot

Postby linuxguy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:36 pm

I'm new here so forgive me if this has already been addressed. Currently I dual-boot XP Pro (on primary h/d, hda1) and linux (on secondary h/d, hda2). I have an open partition on hda1 and I'd like to try Vista RC1 in a triple boot scenario but I'm unwilling to screw up my linux boot setup. Can VistaBoot 3.1 handle this setup ? If so, I'd be glad to try it, and if not, then that's what I'd like to see it do.

If someone could point me in the right direction I sure would appreciate it !
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:43 pm

Hi linux guy and welcome to PROnetworks. VistaBootPRO 3.1 can only work with the Vista bootloader and earlier versions of Windows. We haven't yet got around to adding support for Linux although we have had a lot of requests to do so

Here is a guide on dual booting Vista with Linux and hopefully that will give you some useful info to work with.

How to: Dual-boot Windows Vista and Linux

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby linuxguy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:55 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look that over and may try it this weekend.
PRO New Member

New feature...

Postby leonard.durden » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:12 am

I would like to be able to just edit the fields in the main window and save the entries in the format they need to be in. Instead of it being generated.
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:32 am

leonard.durden,

Welcome to PROnetworks and thanks for your interest in VistaBootPRO.

We originally made the layout to make it easier for the user to understand different aspects of the new BCD Store. However, I have to agree with you on this point. I think that it would be very nice to be able to make changes within the main screen. Items that would be able to be changed would be default OS, Display Order, and renaming of OS's. If this is what you were talking about then please let us know. We are always open to suggestions and making it easier on the user to maintain there system.

Thanks again,
Jason
VP - Software

PreviousNext

Return to PRO Software