A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Triple Boot Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy Eft", Windows Vista

Triple Boot Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy Eft", Windows Vista

Postby gnarula » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:15 pm

With the release of Edgy Eft on 26th Oct, I was eager to try it. Though I had some issues with the live cd but that is another case.

So heres what You'll need:

1. Ubuntu 6.10 Live CD(or if you are more pro go for alternate cd)
http://releases.ubuntu.com/edgy/

2. Some free space for your Ubuntu partition and SWAP.

3. Some peace.

So, grab the live cd or whatever installation media of ubuntu 6.10 and boot up using that(be sure u set to boot from cd first in ur BIOS). You will be presented with the number of options. I recommend you to first check ur disk and then boot to the live interference, but its ur choice... Now u'll see the Ubuntu boot splash with a loading bar. wait for it to load completely and u'll be greeted with a gnome desktop . U can play with it for some time if u want ;)

Code: Select all
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/751_or/4.png

Partitioning your Hard Disk Drive.

NOTE: If you have already partitioned your hard disk you may skip this step.

Launch the GNOME-partition editor(System-->Administration-->GParted). This one is really easy to use. It can do all the basic jobs you need to do and has a quite easy to use interference. If u have some unformatted space in ur hdd use that else you will need to resize your existing partitions(pls dont resize ur xp or vista partition). Give th adequate amount of space to the partition u want ubuntu to reside and the other for linux SWAP. Remember to format the partition for Ubuntu as ext3 . My ubuntu and swap partitions are like these:

ext3 - Ubuntu 6.10 - 7GB
linux swap - SWAP - 1GB

Don't give the swap partition more than a gig of space...

Install it right away!

After the partitioning steps at last its the time to install Ubuntu. Double click the install icon on the desktop adn the installer starts. Unlike XP's installer this based on GUI and is much more easier. Follow the steps.. i.e. set up ur language and keyboard and time zone. Then comes the mount points.

Read on Carefully

DON'T select any other option except "edit the partition table manually". Click next and once again click next. It will show your your different partitions and which u can mount. select the ext3 partition as mount it as "/" and the swap partition as "swap". Select reformat if u want but its gud to do so :whistle . Click on next and make sure u install grub on "hd0" i.e. ur mbr. Then u are ready to install it, and so do that ;). After the install restart ur comp, remove the live cd and there u go!

You will see GRUB boot menu with Ubuntu and Vista/Longhorn bootloader. If u select the latter it will load the Vista bootloader and will let u chose whether u want to chose Vista or XP. But right now u need to check out ubuntu.

Start UP!

Login to Ubuntu with ur username and password and then you have it installed!!

Install your video card drivers(NVidia or ATI) to get the screen resolution right.

For more help see:

www.ubuntuguide.org
www.ubuntuforums.org

If you have any queries or problems post it here and I will solve it gladly for u!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------END-OF-HOWTO----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by gnarula on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRO Level 2

Postby gries818 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:32 pm

nice guide... can you resize the pic so it doesn't mess up the forum boundaries? Thanks man

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby gnarula » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:49 pm

sure, i'll put code tag around the link for that.
PRO Level 2

Postby gries818 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:59 am

no just resize the pic...

something else appears to be going on here. may a mod can fix it???

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Return to Guides