A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How good is OneCare/defender really?...

How good is OneCare/defender really?...

Postby ben dover » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:37 pm

I've been running one care since I could first download the trial and it seems to run great. but I haven't had to deal with a virus yet.

Defender on the other hand has never found one trace of spyware on my pc and I've been running it since it was released to the public.

I just installed defender on my friend's pc because he was having spyware problems. Defender found nothing, spybot found 16 traces and add-a-ware found around 140. This proves that defender doesn't do it's job.
once the spyware was removed the pc started working great again.

So defender did nothing to help. I'm starting to wonder if onecare is a lot like defender... just says "nothing found" at all times.

I'm just wondering what other people have delt with when using onecare/defender.
PRO Level 3

Postby Odinn » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:55 pm

Personally i don't worry about spyware since my browsing habits are very schematic but as far as OneCare, that is one serious piece of software with a very good future imo. Just look at how the other security firms are answering to it... "a threat to our businesses". Just keep providing feedback, or don't. Microsoft products are whatever the poeple need.
tasklist /fi status eq not responding
PRO Level 17

Postby NT50 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:17 am

I will stick with NOD32 and Spysweeper on my PC's and nothing on my Mac.

Edit
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby ben dover » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:02 am

yes, my browsing habits are clean as well. I haven't gotten a virus or spyware in about two years.
it just kind of shocked me with my friend's pc. I'm running onecare 1.5 on vista build 5744 and it seems to be awesome. I did notice that it disables defender when you install it.

I will report anything I notice to MS because I would like to see onecare be the best!
PRO Level 3

Postby ZeroByte » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:13 pm

I have some concerns about OneCare.

Is there any noticeable performance issues running this software?

Currently there is a 90-day free trial @ http://onecare.live.com/.
ZeroByte
PRO Level 15

Postby ben dover » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:50 am

what I love most about one care is that I forget it's running in the background. it's freakin sweet!
PRO Level 3

Return to Security & Virus