A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

downloader.trojan problem

Postby yahoooo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:23 am

sorry not sure what a hijackthis is. is there somewhere on this forum that has very specific directions for it, including how to post the results? I'm not completely computer illiterate but when it comes to viruses, I don't know much.
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:38 am

We don't generally troubleshoot Hijackthis logfiles, as there are tons of sites that do this for a living, and that is their focus. That is NOT our focus here, and as the Hijackthis program can be very dangerous for even an advanced user, it is not recommended that you use it if you are unsure of the procedures for using it.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby yahoooo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:55 pm

hmm...well it seems like i'll be stuck with this d*mn thing forever cuz nothing is catching it let alone finding it. so if i do a complete system restore, will it get rid of it or will it somehow still find a way to stick around?
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:10 pm

If you're determined to try this on your own............

1-Turn OFF your System Restore (Many Virus/trojans write to your restore points in XP)
2- While still in Normal mode, download and install updates for your AV program (Hopefully you have a good one, if not try the 30 day trial of EsetNOD32 or the free versions of Avast! or AVG)
3-Download and install (If you don't already have these programs) Spybot S&D, AdawareSE (All free) and get the updates as well, but DO NOT RUN ANY SCANS YET!!
4-Reboot to safemode once you have all the programs installed and updated (Press F8 once your system restarts until you get the menu screen and select Safe Mode, the TOP selection)
5- In no particular order, run the scans for AdawareSE, Spybot S&D, and then your AntiVirus program scan. Run scans until you get no more "hits"
-Reboot to normal mode and run another AV program scan, and if all clean, you may turn ON your System Restore.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby yahoooo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:38 pm

well it almost worked. the adaware found a program that had "hijack" in the title so i thought that'd be the one. it of course got removed along with the other bad stuff and so on. But I still get that stupid pop up. and it seems my computer has gotten super slow. so i'm thinking of just completely rebooting it so that it erases everything. if i do this will it get rid of the downloader.trojan?

or do you guys think i should try other things before i resort to that?
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:44 pm

What was the name of the hijack program....

Sorry I missed out on past day, I'm a teacher and I have class on Tuesday night till 9:30 pm. 16 hour days get long and hard. Anyway do you remember the name of the program that had you hijacked?
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:13 pm

I see that no one has recommended Spybot or SpywareBlaster You can try those but I don't know how they interact with Norton as they will write to your host file blocking this type of stuff. You may also just be getting a false positive.
Last edited by augie on Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby kd1966 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:18 pm

Augie, SpywareBlaster is used once the system is "CLEAN"........... and I do have Spybot mentioned in my post..........lol
PRO PLATINUM

Postby kd1966 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:20 pm

You may also want to try the 30 day trial of Ewido; same rules apply, install it in the Normal mode, get updates, and reboot to Safemode to run the scans
PRO PLATINUM

Postby augie » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:23 pm

kd1966 wrote:Augie, SpywareBlaster is used once the system is "CLEAN"........... and I do have Spybot mentioned in my post..........lol

Oops, missed that. :oops: hehe That's what I get for skimming. :embarrassed:

EDIT: Since yahoooo is not getting his browser redirected to whatever site, it's not a hijack. It's a Norton issue I believe, as said above. I haven't touched Norton in 4 years, so I'm outta here. Good luck yahoooo.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

PreviousNext

Return to Security & Virus