A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

downloader.trojan problem

downloader.trojan problem

Postby yahoooo » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:44 pm

i keep getting this thing to randomly pop up saying that I'm not allowed to download whatever. then my symantec window pops up saying that this "downloader.trojan" has been partially dealt with. for some reason when i do a full system scan on my symantec and the spyware doctor, it doesn't find it but the pop up appears randomly still. i looked for ideas online but it seems it's a bit outdated since most of the advice came from 2002 and some programs aren't available anymore.
PRO New Member

Postby ar1stotle » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:01 pm

Have you tried running the scan in Safe Mode? If it still didn't find anything in safe mode, try downloading a trial of NOD32, update it, and then scan again.

Does this happen with every site you try to download from? Or just a specific one?
PRO BRONZE

Postby augie » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:02 pm

Have you tried Symantec's solution here? I think the main point is to turn system restore off and run in safe mode as this crap stays there. Man, that's an old one, I'm surprised it got through Symantec! :confused
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby yahoooo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:11 am

it didn't find anything in safe mode either. i actually did try to do a system restore but i guess symantec automatically turned it off cuz it kept saying that it wouldn't restore evertime i tried. then i later found out i shouldn't do that anyways.

now i'm gonna try the NO32 but i first i gotta uninstall my other antivirus stuff so that's gonna be a while.

the pop up is an NSIS Error (whatever that means). It says: "The installer you are trying to use is incomplete or corrupted. This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download, or a virus. You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy. It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch (NOT RECOMMENDED)"

this thing pops up randomly. i could be away from my computer and when i come back the pop up would be there.

I spent 30 bucks on the Spyware Doctor cuz it got good reviews but it didn't really do much help.
PRO New Member

Postby yahoooo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:27 am

i tried the NOD32 but it didn't find anything either. in fact it couldn't go in a lot of my files. it kept saying either file locked or error with opening file. i'm gonna try one from agnitum. i saw the link for trojan removal tool so might as well try it.
PRO New Member

Postby ar1stotle » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:52 am

Are you using internet explorer or firefox?
PRO BRONZE

Postby yahoooo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:16 am

internet explorer
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:49 pm

Try changing the setting on the NOD32 scan (setup) to scan ALL files. It will take longer but it will scan all folders and files then. Also try running it in safe mode. Before you run the scan turn system restore off.

BTW: dump Norton before install NOD. Norton is probably what started this problem to begin with. It did not catch the viri up front.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby yahoooo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:09 pm

i uninstalled my symantec and spyware doctor, installed the NOD32, updated it, put it in safe mode, and did a full scan. it didn't find anything but the pop-up keeps poppin up.
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:13 pm

Download Hijackthis

Do a scan and pst it here.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Security & Virus