A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista backup support for SATA during backup

Vista backup support for SATA during backup

Postby umasan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:09 pm

Hi. These are problems I encountered while trying to move Vista installation to a larger drive.

First, I used Maxtor Blast 4 on XP (onboard SATA raid 1) to copy whole Vista partition (on IDE bus) to a new drive on PCI SATA. I got a copy that amounted to ~80 GB from the original ~30 GB. The most swelling appeared to be in User folder but other areas as well.

Then, I tried to make a backup image of the Vista drive (IDE Master) on to a new drive attached to PCI SATA card. Because I did not want to include XP, I disconnected drives connected to onboard SATA. The backup started OK but after a while, Vista reported an error indicating that it can not find destination drive. Apparently, in my opinion, Vista lost support for the PCI SATA card. Is this normal, or a bug? PCI SATA card is VIA chip based and driver for Vista is installed. I am not sure whether or not RC1 support it natively because I installed the driver when I was using Beta before upgrading to RC1.

Just before I left home, I moved the PCI SATA drive to IDE slave position and started backup again. Please wish me a good luck.
PRO Level 2

Return to General Windows Support