A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

VistaBootPro trouble

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

VistaBootPro trouble

Postby Spirefm » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:14 pm

I used VistaBootPro to setup 2 Vista partitions and 2 XP partitions on 2 hard drives, 1 Vista and 1 XP on each drive. That worked fine. HOWEVER I've had to use 1 of the drives on another computer. That too is fine - I reloaded XP without trouble.

The difficulty arises with the orginal Vista/XP drive. I can boot to either OK but - thinking to tidy up the boot system I started VistaBootPro. I get this message "Index and count must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: count"

How do I sort this out? I really must because I will almost certainly be making more hard drive changes soon.

Colin

ABIT AN8 32X; 2GB Kingston Dual-Channel RAM;
Opteron 165 running at 2.7GHz 300MHz, BIOS 2.12
Dual-boot Win XP Home SP; Win Vista RC1 64bit
Norton Internet Security 2006 on XP; Avast on Vista
Video ABIT RX800 PCI X16, NEC L1735NXM LCD monitor
250GB SATA 2 Seagate, 80GB IDE Seagate (Data only)
LG DVD-RW, LG CD-RW, Canon Pixma iP4200, Benq scanner
Power Supply: XPower 520watt ATX2, Router UTStarcom 3411
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:57 pm

Hello Spirefm and welcome to PROnetworks!! Please stop by our Introduction Area so we can give you a proper welcome.

As to your issue - please be patient as our members stop in and check out your specific issue. In the meantime, could you post the output of bcdedit.exe with both physical HDD's installed/connected? Also are your HDD's IDE or SATA?
PRO PLATINUM

Postby jbullard » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:58 pm

Welcome to PROnetworks and wehn you get a chance head over to our <a href="http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=32">Introduction Area</a> and tell us a little about yourself.

In order to fix the "Index count" error that you are receiving you will need to follow the instructions outlined <a href="http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82556">here</a>.

Some history on your problem. When changing/removing HDD's like that, the actual OS entries are still contained in the BCD Store. Therefore, when you load VBP it is looking for an OS that is not there anymore. Once you get this sorted out, your best method to follow when removing/replacing HDD's is to remove the OS before using VBP. Then you should remove the actual drive.

HTH,
Jason
VP - Software

Postby kd1966 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:12 pm

Even when I'm just killing Vista installations for whatever reasons, I use VBPro to actually remove the entry(ies) from the BCD before actually fomatting/deleting the partition(s). This way, VBPro (And more importantly, Vista realizes that an entry will be deleted.
PRO PLATINUM

VistaBootPro trouble (of my own making!)

Postby Spirefm » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:09 am

Both drives are SATA. Both operating systems are on 1 drive, the other is only data. Here's a screenshot of BDCEDIT The second boot loader is surplus now I've removed the other drive. Vista is on C: and XP on F:
This is very abbreviated of course

Boot Manager
Partition F:

Boot Ldr
Partition C:
Vista RC1 Colin

Boot Ldr
Unknown
Vista RC1 Edwin (this was on the drive that was removed)

Legacy
Partition F:
XP English/Spanish
[/quote][/url]
PRO New Member

VistaBootPro trouble - sorted

Postby Spirefm » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:08 am

I noticed here that msconfig can delete entries so I deleted the redundant entry and all is well. 1 second after I took the drive out I realsied I should have dealt with the boot file first. Anyway, nice to meet you all. I'll be back again I feel sure

Colin
PRO New Member

VistBoot Pro trouble

Postby Spirefm » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:28 pm

Having used MSConfig to delete the redundant Boat Loader entry I now discover that this puts MSConfig in a non-default state, in other words if I set MSCONFIG to standard , the redundant entry reappears and VistaBootPro cannot correct it.

Unless I'm wrong (impossible! Oh yea?) it looks like I must learn how to use bcdedit. Ugh! Colin
PRO New Member

Postby augie » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:40 pm

If you haven't seen our BCDEDIT how to, it's here.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Return to PRO Software