A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Google developing eavesdropping software

Google developing eavesdropping software

Postby augie » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:21 pm

Comment The first thing that came out of our mouths when we heard that Google is working on a system that listens to what's on your TV playing in the background, and then serves you relevant adverts, was "that's cool, but dangerous".

The idea appeared in Technology Review citing Peter Norvig, director of research at Google, who says these ideas will show up eventually in real Google products - sooner rather than later.

The idea is to use the existing PC microphone to listen to whatever is heard in the background, be it music, your phone going off or the TV turned down. The PC then identifies it, using fingerprinting, and then shows you relevant content, whether that's adverts or search results, or a chat room on the subject.

And, of course, we wouldn
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby augie » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:26 pm

Jeez, does Google want to be 'Big Brother'? I like Google as a search engine but this is going over the top. I won't let Google search my rig and I won't let them listen either. What happened to their credo of 'Do No Evil'. I guess it's all in the interpretation. :confused :x
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby mrblah » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:15 am

holy wasted processes batman!
PRO Level 3

Postby tWeaKmoD » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:34 pm

mrblah wrote:holy wasted processes batman!
This is interesting because last time I checked, software installed on one's computer that monitored browsing or the content on your computer and gave adds (or pop-ups) was called spyware. It will be interesting if they bundle this software and allow you to not install it, or will it be bundled without the option to remove like spyware.
PROfessional Member

Postby life of pain » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:53 am

:shocked: its this kind of stuff that makes me want to unplug the internet and go live in a cave somewhere far away from civilisation, i think the days of any sort of privacy in normal mundane life are coming to an end. Ads ads ads ads - its why i don't watch television :-x
PRO Level 3

Return to Security & Virus