A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Network Drive Problem in Vista

Network Drive Problem in Vista

Postby Matthew62024 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:25 am

Hello. I am new to this forum and wanted to know if somebody could give me a hand at something. I have been running RC1 for 3 days now and can not figure out how to connect to my network attached storage. My NAS is an IOGear BOSS (Broadband Office Storage Server) 200GB (GNS1000200). The BOSS is a router, firewall, NAS, and FTP server in one small unit. I am running the newest firware and can't map a drive to it. I also can't see it on the network map in vista. I can still connect to BOSS from all of my XP PCs.

In vista I have my netwok as a Private Network. In sharing and discovery I have everything but printer sharing and media sharing turned on. I am able to connect to the internet, which goes through BOSS since it is also me router.

Can anyone please help me or give me some ideas to try?

Thanks,
Matt
Last edited by Matthew62024 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRO New Member

Postby Matthew62024 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:48 am

I read my post and noticed I didn't describe what it was doing when I tried to map the drive. I go to "computer" and try to "map network drive". I select the dirve letter and enter the path "\\boss\share". It pops up a box asking my for my user name and password. This is all just like XP so far, but when I enter my info is doesn't take it. It flashes back up and ask me for the info again. I know the info is correct because it work on my other XP PCs.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:14 am

The only thing I can think of to suggest is to check your settings under Sharing and Discovery. I don't know if that the server may be using IPv4 and your vista system is using IPv6 could be the problem.

I'm sure someone who has set up a similar arrangement as yours will come along and be able to give you some good advise :)

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Matthew62024 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:29 am

I did look at the list of protocols in XP and in Vista. In XP it list TCP/IP, but in vista it list IPv6 and IPv4 both. I assume that it should work.

Thanks for your help.
PRO New Member

Postby Matthew62024 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:21 am

Ok, I talked to my boss (IT Director at my work) and he said that my NAS most likely uses samba. I really don't anything about samba, but this gave me something to start looking up on google. When I searched by the keywords windows and samba I found out there are known problems with them working together. I have seen websites where people are having problems with Maxtor, Buffalo, and IOGear units and maybe more. As of right now I still can't connect to my NAS, but don't know if it is even possible right now. One guy says he has talked to Maxtor support and they know about the problem and hope to have a fix ready by the time Vista is realesed.

Does anyone here have a device like this that is using vista? Is anyone else here haveing this same type of problem or know how to get around it?

Thanks,

Matt
PRO New Member

Postby luizrrocha » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:41 pm

Hi, Mathew.

I have the same hw (Boss) and the same problem as well. You did not mention in your posts that you first enter a valid user/password, which is the same in the Boss and the Vista, right ? But when the password dialog pops back, the username has changed to <Vista>\user...

I think Vista is including the machine network name as a domain name into the logon packet to the Boss. As there is no such compound user name in Boss, it refuses the logon.

I've stumbled across a not-so-elegant workaround for this situation. I created a .BAT file containing those lines:
@echo off
@net use \\<boss_name>\IPC$ "" /u:''''
@net use s: \\<boss_name>\<share_name> /PERSSISTENT:YES
@net use \\<boss_name>\IPC$ /delete

Every boot, I run this batch and then it maps the Boss share to the S: letter.

It is however a serious flaw, because I'm connecting to the IPC$ with a null name, and that is a security hazard.

I'm still trying to find a proper solution for this problem. I tried to recall some kind of local policy that was involved when I first tried to connect to the Boss with WinXP and had the same logon screen situation, but I could no remember...

I hope somebody in this forum has a better solution for us...

Best regards,

Luiz Roberto
Rio de Janeiro Brazil
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:52 pm

I'm not sure about my storage device, it is a Linksys network / usb hard drive sharing device. I configured it for workgroup MSHOME the same as the rest of my Windows PC. When I bring in a PC that is on a different workgroup, I have to change it to MSHOME in order to backup their files.

I had problems with my Vista seeing the same device also until I changed its workgroup to MSHOME. Default for Vista is Workgroup. Try changing the workgroup to the same as the rest of you machines to see what happens.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby DavidRSullivan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:50 pm

Hi All,

If any of you are having problems with Vista logon to NAS devices running Samba, the following will work:

Run secpol.msc

Go to: Local Policies > Security Options

Find
PRO New Member

Postby luizrrocha » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:49 am

David, I discovered this solution in the internet too. I tried it and it works... in part :-(

I can now browse the NAS folders and have it connected at logon, but if i try to copy a file FROM the NAS to the Vista computer and the file is above a certain size (say 40 MB), the silly Vista "Calculating time" dialog appears and the copy process aborts several minutes later with a "Network resource is no longer available". If I keep on insisting, some attempts later, the NAS cannot be accessed by any other machine (I think it exceeds the number of open NetBios Sessions it can handle) and has to be reset in order to start serving files again.

Interesting enough, I can copy files of any size from the Vista PC to the NAS. The problem only happens when the reverse direction is used...

I have a W2K sharing a folder in the same workgroup and Vista can copy to and from it without problem...

I have been using a FTP client in Vista in order to transfer files from the NAS, but it is cumbersome. I hope Mathew could test his machine and post his results here ( maybe its only me and my bad luck !).

I contacted IOGear and they told me they will fix the problem "when Vista is launched" (???)
PRO New Member

Postby Matthew62024 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:25 am

I know this is old, but I am back to this same problem. I never got it working before and gave up with RC1 and went back to XP. Now I am running Vista Home Premium on one of my PCs and still can't get Vista to map a drive to my NAS. I have tried the above and noting works. Can anyone help?

Matt
PRO New Member

Next

Return to General Windows Support