A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

HELP: Renaming a system folder

Postby jdl » Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:14 pm

Hi Everyone, I was hoping someone could help me with a problem I'm having in Windows XP. It all started when my dumb-ass brother decided it'd be funny to name my system as "F*ck off then" in that little menu-wizard that comes up after you format & install XP (the bit where u setup internet connections and register Windows, etc...). Well, after Windows was loaded, I went into the "Users" section and named the computer to "Mjj1998". I thought that'd done the trick (as it nows says "Mjj1998" above my start menu thingy), but I've now discovered that in my C:Documents and Settings folder, there's a "F*uck off then" folder which I cannot delete. This name is poping up all over the system (even my cookies have that infront of them too!) and I cant rename that folder to Mjj1998. I'd reformat, but I've already put heaps of stuff back on, and was hoping someone could help me get rid of this problem (the folder name, not my brother :smile: ). Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks a lot, Mj.
PRO New Member

Postby Josh Pyles » Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:25 pm

Try Deleting your current user, and add a new one, uner mjj11, or whatever. Hope this works. Josh
Josh Pyles

Postby oldmanlinc » Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:47 pm

If it's a folder under Documents and Settings, that would mean its a user account, yes? If it is, do what he says, or just go to Control Panel > User Accounts then click that account name, and just change the name of it. -Adam
PRO Level 3

Postby jdl » Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:36 am

Thanks for the help :smile: ADAM: Yes, it was a User Account, that's where I've renamed my computer to Mjj1998. Even though my User Account name has changed, it hasnt changed the folder name in Documents and Settings, and it also hasn't created a "Mjj1998" one, either. JOSH: I was wondering whether I could create a new user account and delete the other one, but what about all the Application data and stuff that gets installed into the "F*ck off then" folder? If I deleted it, would those programs crash on me? Obviously, I could save "my Documents", address book, Identities and my Favourites easily enough, but I was worried that if I deleted the other folders it would affect system stability. How does that sound?? Again, thanks for any help, Mj. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mjj1998 on 2002-01-30 20:37 ]</font>
PRO New Member

Postby jdl » Fri Feb 01, 2002 11:54 pm

Hi everyone, Well, I've managed to fix up the system :smile: What I did was created a "Mjj1998" account and also another "Temp" account. I logged into the "Temp" account and then copied everything from the "F*ck off then" folder in Documents and Settings over to the "Mjj1998" folder. I then went into regedit and modifed all values of "F*uck off then" to "Mjj1998". When I logged into Mjj1998, everything was as it should be, so I deleted the Temp and "F*ck off then" accounts and now everything is running sweet! Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions, it's appreciated. Mj.
PRO New Member

Postby oldmanlinc » Sat Feb 02, 2002 1:31 am

Glad to hear you worked it out, especially with out any of our "help" directly :smile: Ciao, and good luck in your continued use of XP -Adam
PRO Level 3

Return to General Windows Support