A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Nothing functions after uninstalling norton antivirus 2006

Nothing functions after uninstalling norton antivirus 2006

Postby Infinityeye » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:48 pm

After succesfully switched to an ISP antivirus solution, we forgot to uninstall Norton Antivirus 2006, which we had to do, as we discovered now.
(I'm speaking of 'we' because it isn't my laptop, but one of a friends)
Today a relative uninstalled Norton Antivirus 2006 (NAV2006) on the following way:
Start > Program and preferences (or whatever you call it, it's the icon in the startmenu; round with the four colors and a 'v' on the right side.
How it was removed exactly I don't know but NAV2006 is gone now.

That's where the problems started. When we startup the computer now, the ISP antivirus says 'Error creating SAVI interface' , I don't know which brand the antivirus is, but I found a websites which says SAVI is from Sophos.

When you try to open any .exe application, Windows simply does not do it. Outlook Express, Any icon of the Control Panel!, Word 2003, Windows Media Player, every doubleclick gives no reaction.
Only Internet Explorer (or probably explorer.exe) works.

It is clear that the problem is NAV2006, or actually uninstalling it.
What would be the best way to fix it?
1) Do a system restore
2) Reinstall NAV2006 (I have the CD) and see what happens next?
3) Any other suggestion?
Yes, I've used the Pro-Networks Album!
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:57 pm

Yes, it seems you will need the Symnrt.exe removal tool, which can be downloaded for free from sites such as majorgeeks
Run the symnrt.exe tool, restart and see if your ISP antivirus will work then
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Infinityeye » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:05 pm

Allright I'll do that, use Symnrt.exe, hopefully it will solve the very weird problem of the executes that don't execute.
Just discovered that when I open Winword.exe, I get no reaction, but when I open a .doc document, Word will start. It stays a weird problem.
PROfessional Member

Postby Infinityeye » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:18 pm

Running SymNRT.exe won't work because the computer doesn't execute .exe's.
When I try with the site of Norton's 'Autofix tool', I get no respond after a while.
The tool I'm trying to use can be found Here
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:34 pm

This is a reason why I despise Symantec/Norton products.......... that page has the instructions for using the symnrt tool, which you say is not working for you

Your situation may require a System Restore, as I can think of no other way to get your system back to "normal" other than using the Symnrt.exe tool. Are there ANY other Norton/Symantec products on the computer that can be uninstalled? If so, uninstall them and see what happens. Minus that working, I would say try System Restore
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Infinityeye » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:05 pm

I'll try that tomorrow, it's around 2300 here, a bit late to solve problems. I'll keep you up to date.
If that doesn't solve anything, I'll do a full reinstall of Windows. Radical but very effective.
PROfessional Member

Postby _Taz_ » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:51 pm

odd that only one exe works,
just do a quick check with regedit(you may have to copy regedit.exe to regedit.com then Start/run regedit.com)

look under
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command

see if the value is "%1" %*

was thinking you might reinstall norton, uninstall the ISP AV, then uninstall Norton again and use the tool, then reinstall the ISP AV, but all of that requires you to be able to run exe files... :no
PRO Level 13

Return to Security & Virus