A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Avoid Disconnecting from Internet at Log Off

Postby troublemaker » Fri Feb 01, 2002 7:39 pm

Is it possible to avoid disconnecting from the internet at each Log Off? I use DSL and prefer to "Log Off" rather than "Switch User" so I don't get that funny message that a device is already in use by someone else, but when I log off, the connection is dropped! Is there a setting to avoid this? Thanks a lot!! Mike
PRO New Member

Postby oldmanlinc » Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:48 pm

Log Off is essentially a shutdown. So, I do not believe there is anyway to keep your current connection. -Adam
PRO Level 3

Postby troublemaker » Fri Feb 01, 2002 11:35 pm

Oh I see.. OK thank you.
PRO New Member

Postby troublemaker » Fri Feb 01, 2002 11:55 pm

No actually after thinking more on this, I know there must be a way. Sometimes when I Log Off (not switch user), I receive a message that says "Do you want to close your connection to the internet?" or something like that, so I know it is possible to leave the connection open. Does anyone know of a setting that will allow this permanently, or a way to stop that message from coming up so it just automatically stays connected?
PRO New Member

Postby oldmanlinc » Sat Feb 02, 2002 1:27 am

yes, but if you select No, it will not let you log out. (again not 100% certain, but im pretty sure) Ciao -Adam
PRO Level 3

Postby troublemaker » Sat Feb 02, 2002 2:03 am

thank you for your response, i really appreciate it, but when I select "No", it does return to the welcome screen successfully while keeping the internet connected for the next person who logs in, but I've searched and searched through miles of folders and secret advanced options, and I cannot find a setting or option that say something like "do not prompt to disconnect from internet at log out".
PRO New Member

Re: Avoid Disconnecting from Internet at Log Off

Postby X-R@Y » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Solved:1.Open RUN,,,enter REGEDIT
2.Browse to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
3.Then Create a key name it :KeepRasConnections
and the set the value: 1
4.Close regedit and log off and log back in
Hope it Works ^*^
PRO New Member

Re: Avoid Disconnecting from Internet at Log Off

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:34 pm

X-R@Y mate, the member is unlikely to check in looking for solutions to a problem that he had Seven And A Half Years Ago ...

That said thank you for your research, but can you please in future refrain from replying to these Ancient Threads ?

Thank you.

Closed.
PRO VETERAN

Return to General Windows Support