A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

StyleXP conflict with ntldr

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

StyleXP conflict with ntldr

Postby ronandex » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:22 am

When using VistaBootPro 2.1 with a dual boot of Vista 5472 and XP pro it wasn't able to boot up XP From the Vista bootmanager screen. I would get a ntldr is either missing or corrupt message. I had even copied the boot files from XP over into Vista directory prior to resetting VBP. Has StyleXP been reported as causing any conflicts with VBP2.1
XP Pro/SuSe 10.1
P4/3.4
Seagate 160GB 7200 HDD
Asus P5GD2 Deluxe MB
2GB-DDR2 SDRAM
GeForce 6600/256
SB Audigy 2 6.1
PRO New Member

Postby gries818 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:55 pm

no conflicts have been reported yet...

hmm, what happens when you install the StyleXP program?

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Re: StyleXP conflict with ntldr

Postby jbullard » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:12 pm

ronandex wrote:When using VistaBootPro 2.1 with a dual boot of Vista 5472 and XP pro it wasn't able to boot up XP From the Vista bootmanager screen. I would get a ntldr is either missing or corrupt message. I had even copied the boot files from XP over into Vista directory prior to resetting VBP. Has StyleXP been reported as causing any conflicts with VBP2.1

As gries818 said it has not been reported. However, I will check into this a little more. I was not aware that styleXP even messed with ntldr. I will post back soon with what happened. Thanks for the info and hopefully we can find a solution.

Jason
VP - Software

Postby kd1966 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:32 pm

If it's anything like WindowsBlinds, it does "fiddle" with some system files in XP
PRO PLATINUM

Postby ronandex » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:41 pm

I got it working. Here is what I did. I'm not sure what actually solved this problem.
-I installed 5472 from boot because the only way it would install is to delete/format the NTFS partition I had created with Acronis Disk Director Suite. I tried installing from XP desktop and it would never take, as it would freeze up on reboot. From the 5472 desktop I again installed and ran VistaBootPro 2.1 and added my XP Professional to F:\ drive legacy. Rebooted and again I got the missing or corrupt ntldr message. So now what,..

OK, then I downloaded and copied the NTLDR, NTDETECT, and the boot.ini from XP to C:\ directory and I placed copies in the Window>System32 folder, however before placing these copies I noticed the boot.ini still indicated my XP partition being on the 1st partition which wasn't the case as Vista had taken over that spot on install and moved XP to partition D:\ my 4th partition. So I edited my boot.ini and then reinstalled VistaBootPro. Rebooted and I get the Vista and XP Professional option. When I click on XP Professional it takes me to another boot screen giving me two more options of XP Professional or (Default). If I click on XP Professional it gives me a error screen again. If I click on the (Default) screen it boots into XP. Yes ! finally got it working. It doesn't look pretty but it works. As far as SyleXP it does replace the NTLDR if you choose a different boot screen which could cause some problems. I'm still not sure if this was the issue in the first place. [/list]
XP Pro/SuSe 10.1
P4/3.4
Seagate 160GB 7200 HDD
Asus P5GD2 Deluxe MB
2GB-DDR2 SDRAM
GeForce 6600/256
SB Audigy 2 6.1
PRO New Member

Return to PRO Software