A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Someone hacking my Windows Live Messenger?

Someone hacking my Windows Live Messenger?

Postby phileysmiley » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:30 am

I think someone may be trying to hack into my Windows Live Messenger. Is this possible?

1) Every so often, my WLM starts pinning my CPU for no apparent reason at 100%. It will hover up and down between 80-100% or so and eventually I have to shut it down.

2) Today, the console suddenly popped up with a dialog box saying "WLM is unable to change your display name at this time" or something like that. I hadn't touched it at all.
Last edited by phileysmiley on Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Media Director

Postby kd1966 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:31 am

sounds more like some "freak incident" than anything else.......... but I've not been "hacked" to my knowledge either...................hmmmm
PRO PLATINUM

Postby phileysmiley » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:07 am

OOpsy. I meant Messenger. :oops:
Media Director

Postby coreyw2000 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:09 am

I have had that happen... A reinstall of WLM fixed it.
Be nice to nerds.... chances are you will end up working for one

<u><b>Current system</b></u>
ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI
AMD Athlon X2 6000+ o/c'd at 3.2GHz
4GB (2x2GB) OCZ RAM
Integrated Radeon HD 3200 (HDMI out)
500GB SATA/360GB IDE HDD's
32" Sharp 1080p Monitor/TV
Vista RTM/Vista SP2 Beta/7 6801
PROfessional Member

Postby Synaptic » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:35 am

Yes, WLM might say that it could not change your login name if the machine was locked, lost connectivity etc and WLM didn't detect the name change. Also, WLM seems to be a memory hog a lot of the time for no apparent reason... It's probably because all the MSN team are all now doing Vista!
"Know this, you can cut me off from the civilized world, you can incarcerate me with two moronic cell mates, you can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you can not break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delievered from this feted and festering sewer." - Charles Emerson Winchester, III, M*A*S*H
PRO Level 11

Postby imnuts » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:00 am

It does sound like something odd is going on with WLM for you. I would try closing it and restarting. If you keep seeing the same thing, open up command prompt and type in "netstat" to get the current connections your computer is making or has established. You could then look up the domain associated with the IP address(es) that you are connected to. It also shows the port that you are connected over. If it has :msnp after the IP, that should be the MSN connection. :http is a connection to a website, and there are some others. You would also be able to look up what ports are for what protocol. If there is anything you aren't sure of as far as the current connections go, just ask here. Also, if you have a router, I don't see a way someone could actually be "hacking" your account unless they have either figured out your password or found a way through the hardware firewall to mess with your system. In either case, it is somewhat unlikely, but still, a possibiltiy.
PRO SUPREME

Postby Infinityeye » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:00 am

Well If WLM is such a memory hogger, I'll stick with 7.5 for some time.

But I do know there were some stupid apps for MSN Messenger, which let someone change all sorts of things by typing in commando's in the conversation with the-beiing-hacked-person. But this was because the being-hacked-person executed a 'so-called picture' (which was actually a .exe program) sended by this hacker (which in my area was mostly of the time some kid from school which though he knew all about hacking (but only knew something about the program)
Yes, I've used the Pro-Networks Album!
PROfessional Member

Return to Security & Virus