A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

bootsect.exe help

bootsect.exe help

Postby Tatiania » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:58 am

How exactly do I use the "bootsect.exe" command? I need to use it to get my XP bootloader back after a failed Vista install. How do I get "bootsect.exe" to work? If I double-click it, a black box opens then immediately closes. I'm kinda a n00b, so I need help...really bad. :-?

Thnx

split from PROnet Developed Software by gries818
"The dreams of youth are the regrets of maturity"
PRO Level 2

Postby gries818 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:49 pm

Welcome to PROnetworks... Please stop by the <a href="http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=32">Introduction Area</a> and introduce yourself!

Sorry your post sat for so long in the PROnet Developed Software :oops:

We will get the issue resolved now.

What do you need the bootsect command to do? Is there a reason you need to access it?

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:41 pm

Open the command prompt by pressing Windows Key+R and typing CMD and then Enter or go to Start>Programs>Accessories to find it.

Once you have it open type: CD\ and then Enter.

From there, type: bootsect /help for detailed instructions

The command you need to get your XP boot menu and installation back again is bootsect /nt52 C: where C: is the drive the folder boot is to be found (usually your XP drive).

You will probably have to copy bootsect.exe from your Windows Vista DVD and need to set your folder options> view settings to "show hidden files and folders" and to not "Hide protected operating system files" Once you have copied it, paste it into the Windows\System32 folder or just onto the root of your XP drive.

If you have installed VistaBootPRO, you can also just copy it from the Program Files>PROnetworks>VistaBoot folder and paste it to where you want as above.
Last edited by Grav!ty on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:56 pm

The command prompt is also available in the Vista Start Menu at:

Start > All programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

---

BTW, remember that if you are running with the User Account Control, you should right-click on the program icon and run the app with Admin privileges ;)
PRO VETERAN

Return to General Windows Support