A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How to: Remove Linux from a Dual-Booting System

How to: Remove Linux from a Dual-Booting System

Postby gries818 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:35 pm

If your like me you probably are pretty curious about other OS (or various types of Linux Distros). I have dual-booted several flavors of Linux and removed them after experimenting with them for a week or two.

This guide is meant for a person who has a medium skill level at computers but who is stuck in finding the resources (with out spending money) to remove Linux.

Pre-Removal

1. You are going to need to back up your data like you did before you installed Linux. Hey maybe you are lucky and your back-up is still current.

2. You are going to need you Windows XP reinstall disc. I don't know of any way to do this with any other version of Windows. Maybe someone can post a reply to this post with that information.

3. You are going to need a Partition Manager. If you used the Linux Install Disc to partition your hard drive and don't have a Partition Manager then I would recommend the GParted Live CD.

4. If you are using the LiveCD you will need a program to burn ISO Images if you don't already have one. I would recommend
ISO Recorder.

5. Your obviously going to need to back-up any data in Linux that you need saved.

Removal Process

1. Restart you computer and under the BIOS settings make sure that your computer boots to CD Drive first.

2. In Windows (or Linux) insert the XP CD in the CD drive and hit restart.

3. The Windows CD will boot and will give you the option to reinstall or go the recovery menu. Go to the recovery console.

4. When in the recovery console (which is DOS) type:
Code: Select all
fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

5. Now type exit and take out the XP Disc. It should go into Windows. Burn the GParted CD (or open your Partition Manager). If you are using GParted you will need to put the burnt CD in the CD drive and reboot. It will load into the GParted program after asking you questions about your keyboard and mouse.

6. Get rid of the Linux Partition. Make sure you don't get rid of the Windows Partition. Add the Unallocated space back to you main Windows Partition.

7. Close GParted, and reboot by right clicking and selecting reboot. Now as Windows boots up pat yourself on the back as Windows checks your drive(s) (don't exit out of ckdisk).

Congrats on a Job Well Done!
Software Development

Re: How to: Remove Linux from a Dual-Booting System

Postby l33t » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:32 pm

gries818 wrote:If your like me you probably are pretty curious about other OS (or various types of Linux Distros). I have dual-booted several flavors of Linux and removed them after experimenting with them for a week or two.

This guide is meant for a person who has a medium skill level at computers but who is stuck in finding the resources (with out spending money) to remove Linux.

Pre-Removal

1. You are going to need to back up your data like you did before you installed Linux. Hey maybe you are lucky and your back-up is still current.

2. You are going to need you Windows XP reinstall disc. I don't know of any way to do this with any other version of Windows. Maybe someone can post a reply to this post with that information.

3. You are going to need a Partition Manager. If you used the Linux Install Disc to partition your hard drive and don't have a Partition Manager then I would recommend the GParted Live CD.

4. If you are using the LiveCD you will need a program to burn ISO Images if you don't already have one. I would recommend
ISO Recorder.

5. Your obviously going to need to back-up any data in Linux that you need saved.

Removal Process

1. Restart you computer and under the BIOS settings make sure that your computer boots to CD Drive first.

2. In Windows (or Linux) insert the XP CD in the CD drive and hit restart.

3. The Windows CD will boot and will give you the option to reinstall or go the recovery menu. Go to the recovery console.

4. When in the recovery console (which is DOS) type:
fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

5. Now type exit and take out the XP Disc. It should go into Windows. Burn the GParted CD (or open your Partition Manager). If you are using GParted you will need to put the burnt CD in the CD drive and reboot. It will load into the GParted program after asking you questions about your keyboard and mouse.

6. Get rid of the Linux Partition. Make sure you don't get rid of the Windows Partition. Add the Unallocated space back to you main Windows Partition.

7. Close GParted, and reboot by right clicking and selecting reboot. Now as Windows boots up pat yourself on the back as Windows checks your drive(s) (don't exit out of ckdisk).

Congrats on a Job Well Done!

or more simpliy...
get an Xp restore CD (ask a friend if you can borrow one...)
boot it into restore mode.... it will be AFTER it says "press "r" to do an automated recovery"

then when you are at the login, give ADMIN rights 9admin account, or equivelent)

then type fixmbr

then restart, boot up in to windows... (it should have booted into windows... without user intervention)

then go right click on "my computer"
select manage...
then on the left, look for "disk managment"

then, look for the isk that has the OS installed.. windows will not recognise it... right click on it, and select the option that lets you create a new partition.

it will format over the linux (or what ever it is) and make it windows partition....

your done!
then if you want to, there are tools which will let you merge the two (or more) partitions into one.

also, google is your friend!
PRO Level 14

Postby crazygamer » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:45 pm

To restore Windows's bootloader with any version of Windows other than Vista, use a restore floppy or CD and type:
fdisk /mbr
PRO Level 7

Postby gries818 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:20 pm

or more simpliy...
boot it into restore mode.... it will be AFTER it says "press "r" to do an automated recovery"

then when you are at the login, give ADMIN rights 9admin account, or equivelent)

then type fixmbr

then restart, boot up in to windows... (it should have booted into windows... without user intervention)

select manage...

then, look for the isk that has the OS installed.. windows will not recognise it... right click on it, and select the option that lets you create a new partition.

it will format over the linux (or what ever it is) and make it windows partition....

I didn't know you could do that. Much simpliar than my way I guess. My instructions are how I gotten rid of Linux multiple times. Next time I will try it you way I guess.

Thanks for the feedback!
Last edited by gries818 on Tue May 02, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby l33t » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:53 am

gries818 wrote:
or more simpliy...

then type fixmbr

select manage...

I didn't know you could do that. Much simpliar than my way I guess. My instructions are how I gotten rid of Linux multiple times. Next time I will try it you way I guess.

Thanks for the feedback!

never a problem

crazygamer wrote:To restore Windows's bootloader with any version of Windows other than Vista, use a restore floppy or CD and type:
fdisk /mbr

thats the simpliest way tho...
PRO Level 14

Postby gries818 » Tue May 02, 2006 4:07 pm

i really feel more comfortable with my way though...

lol

*edit*

i just did this yesterday.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Postby l33t » Tue May 02, 2006 10:43 pm

gries818 wrote:i really feel more comfortable with my way though...

lol

*edit*

i just did this yesterday.

hey, thats not a problem... do what ever works for you
PRO Level 14

Postby gries818 » Mon May 08, 2006 9:58 pm

crazygamer wrote:To restore Windows's bootloader with any version of Windows other than Vista, use a restore floppy or CD and type:
fdisk /mbr

Can I do this in the regular old command prompt?

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Postby gries818 » Sat May 13, 2006 1:18 am

i couldn't get the fdisk /mbr to work at the command prompt or at the recovery console on XP...

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Return to Guides