A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Internet Explore 7 (IE7) Beta 2 vs. Firefox 1.5

Postby DRAGON OF DARKNESS » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:54 pm

Wow, great review, this is very helpful.
Stephen
PRO Level 16

Postby SCgone » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:51 pm

Cornflake wrote:In short, i will NEVER switch back to IE7.

First of all, i have a beef with MS on how long it's taken them to realize the concept of 'tabbed browsing'. It took them at least 6 months to come out with a MSN toolbar that gives you tabbed browsing. Then, it was a long time after before IE7 came out.

Second, when Microsoft decides to provide you with a built-in theme manager, and a built-in extensions manager (Many of you are fimilar with the AdBlock extension) like Firefox, i'll think a little more about even opening IE. You know, IE7 doesn't even have any option to block images from certain websites, like Firefox has (By default) in the right-click menu

Third, Customization. Every aspect of Firefox is customizeable. So what - IE7 has a compact interface? That can be easily done with FF, too. The only reason IE7 is 'compact' is because it hides the "File, Edit, View" menu. I think that's just plain frustrating.

P.S. FF loads almost every webpage i've visited up to 50% faster than IE. That makes up for the initial load time! And Bell1, you must have a really important reason to try switching back it IE...

Many of the things you mentioned are exactly the things that may come back to haunt Firefox. While the extensions are good, they are by nature all un-signed and wide open for future exploits.
Unlike some and like others, I have found IE to be just as fast as Firefox and it's loadtime is at least twice as fast.
Themes don't bother me, as I hate eye candy in Windows and never use any of it. The tabs are what I mostly went to FF for and IE7 seems to be on equal footing there.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby kanaloa » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:58 pm

I think IE7 is ahead in Tabs, especially with the thumbnails of all open pages...

http://www.pro-networks.org/main/images/blurb/Tabs3.jpg

That's one of my new favorite features.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby ODiaz86 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:05 am

kanaloa wrote:I think IE7 is ahead in Tabs, especially with the thumbnails of all open pages...

http://www.pro-networks.org/main/images/blurb/Tabs3.jpg

That's one of my new favorite features.

:yesnod: Indeed, I also love that new feature on IE. As I visit alot of sites and want to know which site i'm switching which shows you the image of the site than just looking at and trying to guess the little icon of the sites in the tabs in FF.
Last edited by ODiaz86 on Wed May 03, 2006 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRO Level 12

Postby ben dover » Wed May 03, 2006 5:16 am

Bell1 wrote:
Cornflake wrote:In short, i will NEVER switch back to IE7.

First of all, i have a beef with MS on how long it's taken them to realize the concept of 'tabbed browsing'. It took them at least 6 months to come out with a MSN toolbar that gives you tabbed browsing. Then, it was a long time after before IE7 came out.

Second, when Microsoft decides to provide you with a built-in theme manager, and a built-in extensions manager (Many of you are fimilar with the AdBlock extension) like Firefox, i'll think a little more about even opening IE. You know, IE7 doesn't even have any option to block images from certain websites, like Firefox has (By default) in the right-click menu

Third, Customization. Every aspect of Firefox is customizeable. So what - IE7 has a compact interface? That can be easily done with FF, too. The only reason IE7 is 'compact' is because it hides the "File, Edit, View" menu. I think that's just plain frustrating.

P.S. FF loads almost every webpage i've visited up to 50% faster than IE. That makes up for the initial load time! And Bell1, you must have a really important reason to try switching back it IE...

Many of the things you mentioned are exactly the things that may come back to haunt Firefox. While the extensions are good, they are by nature all un-signed and wide open for future exploits.
Unlike some and like others, I have found IE to be just as fast as Firefox and it's loadtime is at least twice as fast.
Themes don't bother me, as I hate eye candy in Windows and never use any of it. The tabs are what I mostly went to FF for and IE7 seems to be on equal footing there.

I agree with bell1. As far as the file menu missing...you better not switch to vista or office 2007 my friend. File menu is a thing of the past. I've been using ie7 since vista betas were first releasted and I will be making the switch back. MS is smart by not letting firefox use windows update or any other download page from MS. I have to use ie at work since I'm a pc tech and ie7 was a welcomed upgrade
PRO Level 3

Postby kd1966 » Wed May 03, 2006 10:55 am

I just used the auto-update feature of FF 1.5 to take me up to 1.5.3 or something like that. I don't recommend this when you have close to 12 or 15 tabs opened (XP), plus FF is still devouring my RAM resources and I got my first 100% cpu usage by FF and had to exit the program to fix this. I still like the themes and some of the extensions I can hardly do without, but I'm gettting a bit miffed..........
PRO PLATINUM

Postby ODiaz86 » Wed May 03, 2006 1:06 pm

kd1966 wrote:I just used the auto-update feature of FF 1.5 to take me up to 1.5.3 or something like that. I don't recommend this when you have close to 12 or 15 tabs opened (XP), plus FF is still devouring my RAM resources and I got my first 100% cpu usage by FF and had to exit the program to fix this. I still like the themes and some of the extensions I can hardly do without, but I'm gettting a bit miffed..........

Yeah that was the only problem that bug me when I was using FF 1.5.x, the cpu usage was near 100%. that why I switch back to IE.
Last edited by ODiaz86 on Wed May 03, 2006 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRO Level 12

Postby kd1966 » Wed May 03, 2006 1:42 pm

I can't live without the tabs, so I use Slimbrowser and Avant now almost exclusively
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Sonic98 » Mon May 08, 2006 10:16 pm

I probably will swtich back. IF not for the tabbed browsing, the way find works, and how Firefox lets you copy the e-mail address instread of the actual link itself I probably wouldn't even be using FireFox. I still have problems with some sites looking funny in FIreFox.
PRO Level 5

Postby Sonic98 » Mon May 08, 2006 10:26 pm

plus, I know this is a beta version of the first major change to IE in a while. There are a few things they're just catching up or getting started on. Perfection doesn't happen on the first try.
PRO Level 5

Previous

Return to Guides