A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Anti-Spyware Programs

Anti-Spyware Programs

Postby Grav!ty » Thu May 04, 2006 6:29 am

For quite a while I used Webroot Spy Sweeper and Ad-Aware SE Personal (the freebie) for SpyWare. I found that Spy Sweeper really did very little for me and then gave SpywareBlaster a try.

The combination of SpywareBlaster and Ad-Aware SE Personal seems to work really great with SpywareBlaster actually preventing stuff and it is now very seldom that Ad-Aware finds any New Critical Objects.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Thu May 04, 2006 11:51 am

Yes, SpywareBlaster just had a program update not too long ago; I've been using it in combo. with AdawareSE/SpybotS&D on lots of systems. The only real problem I've had is that people just won't keep them updated............. unbelievable...
PRO PLATINUM

Postby NT50 » Thu May 04, 2006 1:10 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Spyware Blaster. It is a good program, I have even used it myself in the past. The only issue I had with them was they did not update enough. For a free program though I give it a thumbs up.

As for Spysweeper stopping spyware, it did a lot of it in the background without you knowing it. I had Spysweeper and CounterSpy running at same time on my PC. Way too much for me. Everytime Spysweeper updated the host file (just about everyday) CounterSpy would pop windows up saying that I 'm allowing Spysweeper to add to my host file. While this was taking place I could do nothing except twidle my thumbs. I remove CouterSpy and I'm now just letting Spysweeper do it thing in the background.

My first choice for paid Anti Spyware is Spysweeper, 2nd choice is Counter Spy

My first choice for free Anti Spyware is Windows Defender (or whatever they are calling it now), 2nd would be Spyware Blaster due to it runs in the background

The free Adaware does not run in the background therefore I do not use it much. Spybot S&D, I can't say anything good about it nor bad about it. I have used it in the past.

Just my 2 cents worth :)
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby e to the x » Thu May 04, 2006 1:19 pm

If I work on a system I usually install Adaware, windows defender, spywareblaster, and of course NOD32 inherently catches some malware. It actually flagged and quaratined AIM when I was restoring files from my back-up after my reinstall. I try to stay away from Spybot S&D just because it can cause havoc if you're not very careful about what you remove. If a machine is really bogged down, even for safemode, I use adaware from a BartPE. :yesnod: That really gets things clean.
~Main Rig~
Phenom II X6
GA-870a-UD3
8 GB Corsair DDR3-1333
eVGA 9800GT
WD Black 500 GB
WD Black 1 TB
WD Green 1 TB
Seagate 250 GB
W7 x64
~Audio Stream Rig~
Athlon XP 2000+
MSI Motherboard
1 GB DDR-400
SoundBlaster Audigy2
160 GB HDD
WinXP
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Thu May 04, 2006 1:57 pm

e to the x wrote:If I work on a system I usually install Adaware, windows defender, spywareblaster, and of course NOD32 inherently catches some malware. It actually flagged and quaratined AIM when I was restoring files from my back-up after my reinstall. I try to stay away from Spybot S&D just because it can cause havoc if you're not very careful about what you remove. If a machine is really bogged down, even for safemode, I use adaware from a BartPE. :yesnod: That really gets things clean.

They have NOD modules, or I got one somewhere for NOD on BartPE. Only problem is they update before you can get the CD makde.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to Security & Virus