A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Network Security

Network Security

Postby Sisco22 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:32 pm

Hey guys...what would be a good way to setup a secured wireless network? i have a Belkin Pre-N wireless router, and everyone around me keeps getting on my router and slowing down my connection. I know alittle bit about the WEP and WPA...what do you suggest? Thanks.
PRO Level 14

Postby _Taz_ » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:48 pm

I have netgear and Linksys, the wep wpa stuff is real easy to set up, just follow instructions when you log into the router. You could also limit access to just your MAC addresses
PRO Level 13

Postby Sisco22 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:49 pm

Ok. I will do that..i was reading some stuff on the net about it. I've used wired mostly before...and wireless some..but not close enough to others that they could access it. But now our neighbors are close and they are eating my bandwith :(
PRO Level 14

Postby _Taz_ » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:53 pm

like using 128 wep you would enter a pass phrase and it would return a key code that would need to be entered into the computer to access the network. you should also change the default password on the router.
PRO Level 13

Postby Sisco22 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:59 pm

yeah i changed the default password on it. I just gotta setup the WEP phrase. I think i played with it once a long time ago. But didn't really understand it. May it will be a little easier this time. I just gotta get time to sit down and mess with it. Thanks for the info. :)
PRO Level 14

Postby Synaptic » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:22 am

What might be even easier (and more secure; free tools can crack the WEP encryption in 5-10 minutes) way to do this - enable WPA if it's available. You just enter a passphrase and enter it into your wireless clients. If this doesnt work on the wireless end, then it means that you are stuck with WEP.
"Know this, you can cut me off from the civilized world, you can incarcerate me with two moronic cell mates, you can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you can not break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delievered from this feted and festering sewer." - Charles Emerson Winchester, III, M*A*S*H
PRO Level 11

Postby imnuts » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:12 am

also, a great way to have a more secure network is to hide the SSID, then most people won't see the network to be able to connect to it. If you have WEP, MAC filtering, and a hidden SSID, you'll have a hardware compatible, secure network, but if your wireless hardware supports WPA, go with that instead of WEP.
PRO SUPREME

Return to Security & Virus