A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

New Threat

New Threat

Postby Ambora » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:37 am

From what I hear from some of my friends and my buddy at work McAfee AV has found a new virus. Though I don't have the specifics of it I can tell you people a small ammount of information about it... If anyone watches CNN at all than you might have seen the report they had on the virus..

Ok well heres how it works..

You get an e-mail marked with the name "Invitation" most likley from one of your friends or hotmail contacts etc etc...

Once you open it you see an Olympic Torch and than the virus is released into your PC.

How this virus works is it goes into Sector Zero of your hardrive *You know that one sector with vital information that your whole system runs on..yeah that one :)* and starts to eat away at it until its gone... therefore malfunctioning your computer and it crashes.... which im sure nobody wants to happen...I'll have to check my e-mail at work tomorrow because i get a list of new threats everyday from Symantec and ill provide the name and somemore information. So far there is no fix for it either...

Well thanks for taking the time to read my post...If anyone has any objections or have heard differently feel free to correct me..after all I recieved most of this information from my work buddies.. thanks
PRO New Member

Postby imnuts » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:51 am

there was something similar released last year that affected users of blackice and similar firewalls where it would attack the computer by just deleting a random third of the hard drive. I haven't heard of it yet, or seen it, but it sounds at least somewhat plausible.
PRO SUPREME

Postby ar1stotle » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:18 pm

I think most of the stuff like this is bogus. I mean, if it was that bad, the FBI would be on it trying to figure out who did it and then they'd make an arrest on live television and all would be good. I found this, proving that it's just another hoax:

Friday, 24. February 2006
Google IT PermaLinkTuning the hoax filterCategory : Viruses and Worms
Well at least my users are well trained.

A short while ago one of them forwarded to me (and only to me as per my standing instruction) a copy of a dire warning she had received from an external sender.

The warning was to do with a very new computer virus which will destroy the zero sector of my hard disc [sic].

Oh no! Time to engage Chicken Licken/Little * mode. What follows is a straight quote of the body of the email.

You should be alert during the next days: Do not open any message with an attached filed called "Invitation" regardless of who sent it. It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which "burns" the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list, that is why you should send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called "invitation", though sent by a friend, do not open it and shut down your computer immediately. this is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. this virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet

For this kind of virus.

This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc,where the vital Information is kept.

SEND THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW, COPY THIS E-MAIL AND

SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS AND REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL

IT WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US

In case you hadn't already figured it out, this is another hoax - the first time I have seen one get past the Trend ScanMail hoax filter in quite a while. It gets better.

The copy my user forwarded to me contained the addresses of 426 luckless recipients, all in the to field.

I wonder if any of the other 425 people is sitting behind a POP fetch. I guess I'll know soon enough.

Source
PRO BRONZE

Postby jrcserver1 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:26 am

Yeah, I agree ar1stotle.

Also I think that a lot of these virus warnings are basically irrelevent to those who have anti-virus software (and all of us should!). Sure, it's a heads up to those who aren't protected, but it's a waste of resources, time, and money when huge agencies such as the FBI get involved with something like a computer virus. Plus, half of them turn out to be nothing - or something really minor.
PRO Level 7

Postby ar1stotle » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:25 am

Yea. But one thing that makes these things really bogus are their supposed technological advancednes... I mean, an email isnt going to have the "olympic torch burn away your hard drive to nothing." It's just not going to happen. Just remember, dont open attachments that you werent expecting. Thats the only virus warning you need related to email.
PRO BRONZE

Postby Synaptic » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:54 am

Yeah, if it was a virus THAT bad;

a) MS would be publicising it and advising its customers
b) McAfee wouldn't be sitting on its hands, it would be out there with Trend, Symantec etc pubicising it
c) It would probably be already patched; The only MS software that can edit the boot sector is the bootsect tool from Vista.
d) Whoever heard of a serious virus being talked about as being like an 'olympic torch' - nobody talks about a virus like THAT.

HOAX.
"Know this, you can cut me off from the civilized world, you can incarcerate me with two moronic cell mates, you can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you can not break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delievered from this feted and festering sewer." - Charles Emerson Winchester, III, M*A*S*H
PRO Level 11

Postby meromero » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:50 am

I think U have to try norton 2006
PRO New Member

Return to Security & Virus