A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Norton AV 2006

Norton AV 2006

Postby mooseantlers » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:39 pm

Not long ago, I did a post regarding AV software. From the responses I got, NOD32 was the recommended favorite. Let's jsut say that I was going to get it & last night my darling wife hands me a copy of Norton AV 2006 (she gets an employee discount where she works). Have been running Norton AV for a few years & have no known problems, so I installed it. (So please don't berate me for it. The wife was only being nice!)

The install (seemingly) went well. Using Live UpDate, I get an (error) message LU1845: This product was not updated due to a processing error: Norton AV Internet Worm Protection Signature Updates.

Use Symantec's on-line 'help'. Error LU1845 may be 2 things, the subscrition has expired (wrong) or that preprocessing failed and can not load any of the updates. (Something like that). Further info shows that the system administrator functions may have something to do with it; accordingly, i'm okay. A manual download of the virus defs, etc. doesn't clear this up. Even a re-install, etc. doesn't do squat.

On to the 'on-line chat help' at Symantec & explain what i've done so far. The program reports that worm blocking is enabled & 'voice my thoughts' that even though it says it's enabled, what good is it if it's not updated? I'm told that there could be several reasons why I might be getting this error. Am given a link to a page, told to follow the instructions carefully and it'll clear up the problem. Low and behold, i'm back at the Symantec on-line Help page regarding error LU1845.

I'm not gonna crab about the on-line chat, although it would have been nice if the 'tech' had paid attention when I said i'd already 'been there - done that'.

So . . here's my question(s).

Does anyone have any suggestions for the LU1845 blues?, and
Are my suspicions correct in assuming just because the software is reporting the Worm Detection as operational, it may not be updated?

And, for those willing to 'listen' to my 2 cents worth, and all the comments about Symantec aside, there are a couple of annoying things about this software. Besides the usual icon in the system tray, there's a new one on the task bar; Norton Protection Center. I've yet to see if that can not be displayed. However, I open this 'Protection Center' only to be alarmed that i've got limited e-mail AND browser protection. E-mail shows no privacy protection nor spam filter; the browser has numerous 'not available' functions and both have a link on how to 'fix this problem'. Yeah, by switching to Norton Internet Security . . at over twice the price! Nice way to get you to plug your own higher priced products . . by telling you there's only limited protection. (Yeah, I know it's a different package, but all I wanted was the AV side of it. )

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas on the LU1845 Blues problem. Appreciate the time and effort!!
PRO Level 4

Postby Mac33 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:58 pm

I've no doubt someone may come in with help for you on this one, but i hate being negative here, but the best advice i can give is to ask your wife to take it back and ask for a refund. I hope someone can help you here, but generally with Norton, when you get a problem such as this, then generally it's already in conflict with something on your system, hence the difficulty in coordinating Norton's settings. As i said, the easiest would be a return. The best of luck, and i hope we can give you some more help on this.
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:12 pm

I think you are getting really good advice from Mac on this mooseantlers :yesnod:

I'm not one for bashing a product but I beta tested NIS and NAV 2006 and I must agree with Mac - if you are having system conflicts then do yourself a favour and get rid of it. Find the uninstall instructions and download the removal tool from the Symantec site too and then still make doubley sure that all traces of it have been removed from your system. I spent a good three hours clearing an unsuspecting friends system of NAV a few weeks ago and know that its not a simple excercise.

Your wife will have noted the problems you are having and I'm sure that she will understand the reasons for returning the thing.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:51 pm

OK
Everybody (most everybody anyway) knows my feeling on this. Trash the Norton, take it back and tell them it CRASHED your computer and you are going to send them the bill to fix it. Hopefully they will give your money back.

THEN

BUY NOD32............................................ www.eset.com
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:48 pm

From another forum:

I just had this exact problem, went nutty for about a day. Fixed it by going to

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av...S-N95.html

manually downloading and installing the update (vs using liveupdate). After the update was installed, I ran LiveUpdate and *this* time it found that not only did it need to download the worm update, but also a new subscription service -- and it did both.

Hope this fixes your prob

edit/jojo
outside link removed
PRO Level 15

Postby meromero » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:55 am

no doubt that norton is now more care about its prouduct
PRO New Member

Return to Security & Virus