Need a GateKeeper or a software for..

Postby NT50 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:12 pm

OK

Have fun, take your time.........

Don't get in a big rush you can make a mistake to easily with AD
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Synaptic » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:52 am

Sorry about the delay; Yes, I have installed this software before on a network. The only real hurdle is to have one network card for the internet interface and a second network card for the local network.

I'm not actually at a computer which has Visio installed at the moment, but when I get home i'll draw a quick one for you.

I've looked at your network diagram and what i'm suggesting seems possible, but let me draw you a diagram first.
"Know this, you can cut me off from the civilized world, you can incarcerate me with two moronic cell mates, you can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you can not break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delievered from this feted and festering sewer." - Charles Emerson Winchester, III, M*A*S*H
PRO Level 11

Postby lowellabraham » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:09 am

ight
Workstation:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 1333 MHz FSB
PCB: GA-EP45-UD3R
RAM: 4X1GB DDRII 800MHz
GPU: Nvidia 8400 GS
HDD0: WD 150 GB 10,000 RPM
DISPLAY: 24' Dell UltraSharp Widescreen
Server: Intel Pentium 4 3.40GHz HT 800MHz FSB / 4X1GB DDRII 800MHz / 1X200GB 7200rpm / Windows 2003 Server Standard R2
PRO Level 12

Postby Synaptic » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:19 am

Here's what i'm suggesting you should do:

http://aew.dyndns.org/projects/network%20config.htm

Basically what you need to do is to get WinRoute Firewall, which can act as a DHCP server (to assign addresses), and authenticate any users and thus can set their access privleges.

The only thing that you'll need to remember is that by doing this, you will have to leave your box running Server on ALL the time, otherwise you wont be able to get network addresses or access the internet.

I'm not familiar with Linksys routers (I presume thats what it is, given your diagram), but if it has the option to set DHCP to be able to set 'gateway' it will need to be pointed at the IP address of the Server, as will DNS, if you can set them. If not, you'll have to disable DHCP on the router and set it up on the server.
PRO Level 11

Previous

Return to Security & Virus