A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

NOD32 Rankings

Postby SHK » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:18 pm

Personally, I also agree that knowladgeble computer people give products ratings that they actually deserve... NOrton is terrible... I never liked it, and It ccaused me nothing bue problems. I use either Nod32, or Avast. I recommend Avast, because its free, but nothing beats Nod32.
Hello. My name is Brock!

PRO Level 14

Postby Mac33 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:39 pm

Many of us here have first hand experience of Norton, and like myself found that it was hogging far too many resources, along with creating conflict with other software. It is an invidious program that permeates into every part of your system which in turn makes it very difficult to rid all of their material from your computer. After uninstalling Norton, i had to systematically go through the registry to clear numerous files of Symantec from my system. Their Live Update borders on the ridiculous with reams of updates every other day, in turn using more and more resources. When using the repair utility in SystemWorks, if it determines there's a fault with a particular piece of software, even although the software has been checked out as working fine, SystemWorks will still determine there's a fault if the software doesn't comply with their settings. Quite simply NOD32 is head and shoulders better than Norton. :yesnod:
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:34 pm

jrfree1 wrote:
While virus detection rates are certainly the top priority when choosing a product to safegaurd your computer, a program which uses a lot of resources, and causes conflicts with many common software products is definitely something to consider staying away from *cough* Norton's*cough*

:yesnod: ^*^ :whistle :notworthy

LOLOLOLOLOL
ROFLMAO

I really should not be saying stuff like that......
NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTt

I'm an authorized reseller of ESET software. Not a one of my custimers have EVER come back to me and talk bad about NOD32 NOT A ONE.

Norton/Syamntec and McAfee has nothing more that good/high dollar marketing. THAT IS IT. They pay big bucks to market the product......

If ESET spent as much money as they do then they would BLOW away Norton and McAfee. They are already coming close to doing so without spending the big bucks.

ESET jsut has to get on the systems with Dell, Gateway, IBM, HP , etc etc etc etc....
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby SCgone » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:21 pm

You've got to wonder just how good Norton is, since they have to bring out a new version EVERY year.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby augie » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:51 pm

Bell1 wrote:You've got to wonder just how good Norton is, since they have to bring out a new version EVERY year.

Hmm, perhaps they upgrade the engine? :unsure: Anyways, I've heard nothing but problems with it. More bloat added like Nero 7? Nero 6 does everything I need without all the cute GUI. I guess people like to unwrap a box rather than paying for something useful without the marketing fluff.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby kd1966 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:31 pm

To some degree I would "azzume" they make slight changes in the engine and user interface, but the biggest reason they bring out a new version every year is for new cash flow [New customer base] and to get the previous version users to upgrade. Most "average" users I deal with get comfortable with what is on their system and don't want change for the sake of change.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby NT50 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:33 pm

augie wrote:
Bell1 wrote:You've got to wonder just how good Norton is, since they have to bring out a new version EVERY year.

Hmm, perhaps they upgrade the engine? :unsure: Anyways, I've heard nothing but problems with it. More bloat added like Nero 7? Nero 6 does everything I need without all the cute GUI. I guess people like to unwrap a box rather than paying for something useful without the marketing fluff.

I disagree with Symantec upgrading the engine with new release. They do do some upgrades such as hog your system to more hog more of your system. Joke aside now...............Symantec upgrades due to marketing stragedy........
If you have thousands of boxes in retail stores all over the world and you have people without knowledge of AV programs. All the people see is Norton all over all these stores. Now every year they see Norton get a new version and they think, Symantec just release a new version and release a new version every year so they must be keeping up to date.
And then Symantec charges these poor lost people even more moeny every year just to bloat there computer more than last year.

Plain and simple Symantec Norton Av STINKS but they have marketed there software so well that it will be around for a long time to come.
PROfessional Member

Postby Curtybob » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:36 pm

I have dealt with the 2 big ones.... Norton and Mcafee. Of the 2, McAfee is the better choice. At least when the update period has expired and you wnat to uninstall it, it actually does uninstall, but Norton just starts an uninstaller, and claims that there was a problem and has to close. has happened like that on every machine with Norton that I can remember.

NOD32 isn't without it's flaws and incompatibilities, and frankly it scares me that an AV program can cut the scanning times down by half when all other variables are the same and equal. If I lose my keys, I can cut down on looking time by simply poking my head in each room and saying they aren't there, but I won't find my keys that way, either. Also, I don't really like how half of the files it scans are locked, and it reports that it cannot scan the folder. The other problem I had with NOD32 was the way it could not run with the nVidia firewall. I didn't try it with any other firewalls, but I am on dial-up, so a firewall isn't quite as important as it is on an always-on connection.

But, so far, other than those few minor flaws, I kinda like the program. It's extremely small, not a resource hog, and it's about 1/3 of the price of the "big ones".
My old sig didn't match the new board. Therefore, you get to read this text sig.
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:10 pm

NOD can be setup to increase the scan time when you set the options to scan EVERYTHING. Still yet when it scans EVERYTHING it is still faster than "N" or "M".
The files that it does not scan.... at least they do not lie about it. The "other" program will tell you they scanned it and never did.
PROfessional Member

Postby Curtybob » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:17 pm

Kinda hard to say it didn't scan it when you see every file in the folder go through the "scanning now" readout. ;)
My old sig didn't match the new board. Therefore, you get to read this text sig.
PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to Security & Virus