A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Argh- darn worm on a friend's computer.

Argh- darn worm on a friend's computer.

Postby GFLPraxis » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:30 am

Okay, I've got a friend with a laptop running Windows 2000. I spent a few hours on the computer tonight. Internet Explorer won't view websites and acts as if it's offline, so I network-transfered the FireFox installer and used that. Worked fine.

Popups keep coming in Internet Explorer however.

I installed AVG and wiped out over 20 viruses. However, there's this one worm that keeps coming back. I was getting in a habit of deleting it so I kept hitting delete every time it popped up and ended up deleting some useful exe's including Easy CD Creator 5.0 Basic, a DVD player app, Windows Media Player, and QuickTime. I don't know if AVG is going haywire and randomly deleting stuff or if the virus is infecting all their programs.

I tried to kill internet explorer and delete the exe but it reappears immediately.

I tracked down a Windows 2000 Internet Explorer installer, but it doesn't seem to work, it can't get the files off Microsoft's server during installation.

Any help would be vastly appreciated.
PRO Level 13

Postby Absolute-Zero » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:13 am

Okay, firstly, what's the name of the Worm that AVG is reporting to have found. This can be helpful as there's likely to be a removal tool on the 'net somewhere, if it's one of the more prominent ones.

Secondly, a good thing to do would be to reboot the machine in safe mode and then run AVG over it from within there.
PROfessional Member

Return to Security & Virus