A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Need help re D-Link DSL-504G Router

Need help re D-Link DSL-504G Router

Postby Albinoni » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:56 pm

I did a FW test on my Dad's PC using GRC's Shields Up and also Sygates test and it failed them both quite badly or should I say almost every test.

My Fathers PC is running Win XP Pro SP2 with the XP FW which has been enabled. Now the other thing is he's also using a D-Link DSL-504G ADSL Modem/Router and even with that it still failed.

Both the tests were able to ping his ports, as the ports were left open.

Help would be greatly appreciated

Now my Q here is how do I block WAN ping on this router.

I myself use Netgear equipment so am not familiar with Dlink.
PRO Level 2

Postby Neuromancer » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:09 pm

Well, it has NAT Routing and an SPI firewall built into it. I would login to the router (change the default passwords if they are not already changed) and make sure there is no port forwarding involved.

I am behind a natrouter, I have a firewall also for out going only though (:-x westell) but I am completely stealthed behind it.... I pass the sygate test I will have to try shields up though :)

EDIT: Yah all green on Shields up too. Look and see if there is anything funny going on in the router config, port forwarding as I mentioned, also make sure the otehr services are enabled :)

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere."--Thomas Jefferson
PRO GOLD

Return to Security & Virus