A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Getting around "THE FireWall" at school.

Getting around "THE FireWall" at school.

Postby SHK » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:23 pm

As most of you have probley noticed, i have not posted in over a week. The reason was that i mwas working all the time I had the net to find a way to get around our school's internet filter. I finally successufully found a way, and am going to continue to post at PRONEt. If any of you want toi know what i did, here it is. I found a website that lets you remote connect (kinda) to a desktop running SUSE linux, that has unfiltered internet and AIM. It is free and it works great! www.cosmopod.com Any whoo, Id just thought Id share this little tidbit and let me say the only reason i even tried to find a way is because our schools filter is COMPLETLY usless. It even blocks MY lanparty website, along with newegg and countless others. Hope you like cosmopod! :)
Hello. My name is Brock!

PRO Level 14

Postby poisonbl » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:45 pm

technically, i think circumventing the security measures your school has in place may be a criminal offense, not sure, but i just had to let you know ... otherwise, congrats on the tunneling :whistle ...
PRO Level 10
Location: WVU -- Morgantown, WV. -- USA (TZ: -5 hrs GMT, -4 DST)

Postby Infinityeye » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:20 pm

But if you live constantly on the school campus, I think the school isn't fair, you should browse the internet (almost) freely, except for some hot pages.
Yes, I've used the Pro-Networks Album!
PROfessional Member

Postby SHK » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:52 pm

actually, im really violating any law. Or policy for that matter.
Hello. My name is Brock!

PRO Level 14

Postby RyanD » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:13 pm

I just use proxys to circumvent the schools security and filtering. It lets you get to any website although not to use programs such as AIM.

A good proxy site is http://www.kris.nu so you can check it out if needing to get by the schools filtering.

*note* I am in no way saying this is right and or telling you to do this, if you get busted it is all your fault.
PRO Level 3

Postby kanaloa » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:15 pm

Maybe I could use this at work. Our firewall, aka Surfcontrol, is ridiculous.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby SCgone » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:42 pm

I can't connect from work, they block any sites with high bandwidth and they probably consider the spinning globe high bandwidth.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby josh_duffy17 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:44 am

lol congrats on the school filter nice to know one of us made it through
The great Joshua Tater
PRO Level 2

Postby OsirisX » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:10 pm

d*mn school computers doesn't even let me install the client, and blocks every possibly proxy site imaginable....
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby Weaver » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:29 am

OsirisX wrote:d*mn school computers doesn't even let me install the client, and blocks every possibly proxy site imaginable....

SSH Tunneling my friend. Run your SSH server on port 80 and there is no stopping you... :)

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Security & Virus