A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Distro of choice...

Distro of choice...

Postby Weaver » Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:47 am

Anybody have a distro of choice?

I have used Slackware, RedHat and Debian. The package management systems of RedHat and Debian are a true godsend, and the fact that RedHat now uses Grub as it's bootloader really sets it apart. Everybody has used LILO, but nobody likes it.

There is just something about Slackware Linux that just seems to stay with you. Whether it is the simplicity of their webpage or the catchy name, Slackware will always have a place in my heart and on /dev/hda1.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby XJan87 » Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:52 am

I think RedHat is one of the best ones. Corel Linux had a great idea, but when I downloaded it, I noticed that it didn't have almost any programs on the CD. There weren't even the kernel sources, which are vital for most users. What I like about RedHat, is that it has the graphical install, the RPM package management, Netscape and all that in the same package. That's enough to get your Linux experience started.
PROfessional Member

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:59 am

I agree with you on the graphical install. Truly simplies the installation process, especially for the beginner. But one cannot deny the sense of accomplishment felt after completing their first text based install followed by a successful manual X installation. Well maybe a few things, but that is a different topic...

-Weaver

Postby journeys » Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:36 am

Personally like mandrake 8.2, tried red hat it's alright.
Have suse 8 on disc but haven't installed as of yet! Also debian.
Run dual boot with xp and mandrake 8.2 and use grub as boot loader as it's easier to work with.
PRO Level 2

Return to Other Operating Systems