A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Annoying Pop-Ups!

Postby SCgone » Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:29 pm

Stan, if they're popping up even when not on the internet, you're not by any chance using an instant messenger such as AOL or Microsoft Messenger are you? If so, then that's where they're coming from. As for regular popups, I use Pop-up Stopper Pro and it stops them all. If they're ActiveX popups, Active X controls can be loaded onto your PC without you knowing about it. If you go to Internet Options on the Tools menu, select the Security tab and click the Custom Level button. Make sure [they are set correctly in your case] that 'Prompt' and 'Disable' are selected under ActiveX Controls and Download Unsigned ActiveX respectively.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Stan » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:19 am

Bell1,

The PC does not contain AOL or Messenger of any kind. I never thought of the Active X controls. I checked them and all of them were enabled. I changed them all to "prompt". Thanks a bunch!

Everyone, you're the best! And... you were right about the GAIN and GATOR, they're history now! Hopefully all is kewl :peanutbutta !

Thanks again
PRO Level 2

Postby *Starz* » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:25 am

Well...it seems I'm a little late with this Stan...went to do a search...by the time I got back...you seem to have resolved the prob...lol

I'm going to share this with you anyway...try reading this thread...a little long...but most enlightening...several of us have had this problem...and just in case you haven't turned off the Messenger Service (not MSN)...you may want to take a look at that too...No longer is it just the University ads...but several others are beginning to pop in...If nothing else you will find this an entertaining read... :P

http://d5801.u23.htnoc.net/forum/viewto ... d13550887f
[align=center]Image

~ You Are Never Given A Wish Without Being Given The Power To Make It Come True ~[/align]
PRO Level 16

Postby Stan » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:40 am

Starz,

Thanks for the thread. I found it compelling enough that I had to continue reading until the end. Like they used to say on Laugh-In "very interesting". :cool:
PRO Level 2

Postby *Starz* » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:47 am

Most welcome...Stan... ;)

That particular thread is one of my fav's...I may just have to bookmark it... :lol:
[align=center]Image

~ You Are Never Given A Wish Without Being Given The Power To Make It Come True ~[/align]
PRO Level 16

Postby purplehawk » Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:12 am

You gotta hope the plaintiffs win in this one. I hate both programs.
purplehawk

Postby kanaloa » Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:01 am

Amen Sheri...
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby Stan » Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:07 pm

Well ladies and gents, I am still receiving pop-ups! :-x I've tried everything that's been suggested. Where do I go from here? :confused Should I hose the machine and start over or find out where the problem originated from?

Thanks for your support...
PRO Level 2

Postby Stan » Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:20 pm

Keoni...you were right!

It's a virus! A trojan named winserv.exe or winservs.exe. It took a long time to figure this one out because Ad-Aware, Spy-bot, Norton, and Trend won't spot it.

Fortunately, we have wonderful folks like yourselves that help.
PRO Level 2

Postby kanaloa » Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:37 pm

Whew... I'm glad to hear that you found that. I know how annoying that must have been.

Glad to know we could help. :)
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

PreviousNext

Return to Security & Virus