A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

zone alarm

zone alarm

Postby philip41 » Sat Dec 28, 2002 3:17 pm

A few weeks back I was having trouble or so i thought with O/E 6 on XPhome, but it turns out that it is the true vector engine of Zone Alarm 3 the free version.
What happens is that when O/E receives mail the whole system slows to an almost complete stand still, there are two ways around this on is hit the reset button the other is to go to the Z/A icon in the sys tray and right click and the wait for about 30 seconds for the dialog to open to allow me to shut down Z/A then the mouse freezes for about 30 seconds then a dialog box appears asking if i am sure i want to shut Z/A down, click yes mouse freezes about another 30 secs go by while it tries to shut down the true vector engine, once shut down computer and O/E and everything is back to normal.
I have removed every trace of Z/A including reg entries then reinstalled Z/A but the problem still persist to haunt me.
Does any one have a possible solution to this.

Thankyou

Phil
PRO Level 2

Postby lilwip » Sat Dec 28, 2002 5:15 pm

Does the problem occur when Zone Alarm is uninstalled? I have not had any issues with zone alarm conflicts, but then again I use Netscape for my mail needs. You could try a different firewall?

Tiny Firewall is supposed to be great, but it costs 39 bucks.

Blackice Has been around for a very long time and is known to be reliable, but again, costs 39.95

Agnitum, Ltd makes outpost firewall, which like ZA has two options, free and pro. I have NO experience with this one....

Then of course, there is Sygate Free for home use, Winner of PC World's World Class 2002 award. This one comes HIGHLY recommended.

Hope this helps!
=====

PROfessional Member

Postby RIP! » Sat Dec 28, 2002 5:29 pm

Hey WiP! Thanks for the links to all the FW's. I sure appreciate it! :yesnod:
RIP!

Postby lilwip » Sat Dec 28, 2002 6:06 pm

My Pleasure
=====

PROfessional Member

Postby philip41 » Sat Dec 28, 2002 6:13 pm

The problem did go away once Z/A was uninstalled, but is back now Z/A is back, so I guess I will try a different fw, thanks for the links aswell.
PRO Level 2

Postby Michaels » Sat Dec 28, 2002 9:24 pm

there must be some thing wrong with your system configuration because zonealarm has little or no incompatible issue with windows xp,or at least not that same problem as your machine
PROfessional Member

Postby philip41 » Sat Dec 28, 2002 11:07 pm

hi michaelangels

Not sure what you mean really to me it seems pretty clear cut that when Zone Alarm was uninstalled the problem was no more plus if i disable Zone Alarm the problem does not occur, I am in no way implying that i disagree with you merely just to me it seems that Zone Alarm does seem to be the cause.

Phil
PRO Level 2

Postby SCgone » Sat Dec 28, 2002 11:35 pm

I don't know of any incompatabilities with the free version other than it kills internet sharing. Although there have been some with mailsafe and XP reported. Zonealarm recommends turning off mailsafe in their pro version or getting ZA Plus, which is the pro version without mailsafe.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Michaels » Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:27 pm

i mean that some times these problems are caused by other programs in the system,i said as well that your issue with ZA may not be due to incompatility with windows xp but some other program .
do you have other firewall installed or some programs?, i am not sure i can tell you what or why you have problem getting ZA to work in system.
the good news is that you found that ZA is not good for your system and that you could just firewall your system with other firewall program
PROfessional Member

Postby spike777 » Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:26 am

Sounds like you used the ZA program wizard or arent allowing OE to get an answer back.

Uninstall ZA 1 more time. This time dont let ZA configure any apps for you, wait till they try to access & clik the Always Allow option for OE, Messenger, MSN8 (if you use it).

I dont think you mentioned how you connect (dsl or cable or dial?)
But if your on DSL using ppoe//nat setup, then you need to make sure you allow the "listen-respond" process happen when OE//msn messenger//msn8 & xp svchost-win32process wants it.
PRO Level 5

Next

Return to Security & Virus