A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Creative Declares War On iPod

Postby Malhovic » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:12 am

That is the thing, I love Creative, and I like iPod. I am just getting into MACs, so I really don't know. It is a difficult decision for who I want to win in this one, but i chose Creative. They may have trouble winning though!

PROfessional Member

Postby GFLPraxis » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:17 am

Malhovic wrote:Well that is the thing. M$ will find a way to get Firefox to stop selling their product. Just like when Metallica had the lawsuit and told Kazaa and Napster to knock off the file sharing! I am sure that M$ would do something similar to get Firefox to stop. They would find some sort of loophole and exploit it to get the FireFox developers in some sort of lawsuit trouble to make them stop distributing the product.

Sure, only by breaking the antitrust laws. They're already on the verge of being forced to unbundle Windows Media Player from Windows. If they put something to force people to use IE (they're already in enough legal trouble over the IE integration as it is), they'd probably get in major trouble.

SonicSpeed wrote:Personally I don't see what so special about the Apple iPod, I've see one, there pretty good. But then I've seen (and heard) some of the Creative products, since they make the best soundcards, helps them make really good MP3 players. The iPod looks cool, I can see that, the scroll wheel is really cool. But the Zen Touch, has both of those features (the iPod looks a litlle cooler) plus better audio, can use MP3, WMA etc, (no AAC, but all my music is in WMA) plus it's a little cheaper, which always helps. But the 40% goal I think is reachable.

Sonic

Comparing:

Touch wheel vs touch line: iPod wins. The Creative one is bothersome because you have to constantly change directions (up-down, up-down).

Battery life: Creative wins. Nearly double battery.

Simplicity: iPod/iTunes wins. Creative isn't far behind with drag+drop.

Size: iPod wins, at HALF the weight and a much slimmer size.

Looks: iPod, all the way :)

Price: Creative, by about $15 or so.

Compatability: Creative isn't Mac compatible, i THINK. Additionally, they both play MP3 and WAV, but Creative plays WMA, and the iPod plays AAC and AIFF, and iTunes auto-converts non DRM WMA files to AAC for you, so the iPod is more compatible.

iPod wins overall, just by a little. Since the iPod already has the massive user base, I say Creative is being stupid by shooting for such a high number. OR they're just doing this for media attention.
PRO Level 13

Postby phileysmiley » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:18 am

Why not have both? ;) :lol:
Media Director

Postby SonicSpeed » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:49 am

phileysmiley wrote:Why not have both? ;) :lol:

That would be the best situation.
The iPod for all the times that it will be seen (or just have the white earbuds connected to the Zen Touch :lol:)
And the Zen Touch for the long road trips, or listening to music at home.

But sadly most of us don't have $500+ to spend on MP3 Players alone, I'd rather take that money and buy a 64-bit system. (Because I already have a Minidisc player and that works fine for me.

Sonic
PRO Level 14

Postby GFLPraxis » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:15 am

phileysmiley wrote:Why not have both? ;) :lol:

We're not all rich ;)
PRO Level 13

Postby phileysmiley » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:34 am

SonicSpeed wrote:That would be the best situation.
The iPod for all the times that it will be seen (or just have the white earbuds connected to the Zen Touch :lol:)
:rofl: :rofl: ROTFLMAO You crack me up, Brian. You just made my day. :lol:
Media Director

Postby SonicSpeed » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:38 am

phileysmiley wrote:
SonicSpeed wrote:That would be the best situation.
:rofl: :rofl: ROTFLMAO You crack me up, Brian. You just made my day. :lol:

Thanks, I thought it was very funny when I posted it :yesnod: you could even connect those to your cheap $20 CD Player, and make everyone think you've got a really nice iPod (as long as you don't pull out the CD player to change the song :lol: )
PRO Level 14

Postby Malhovic » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:22 pm

SonicSpeed wrote:Thanks, I thought it was very funny when I posted it :yesnod: you could even connect those to your cheap $20 CD Player, and make everyone think you've got a really nice iPod (as long as you don't pull out the CD player to change the song :lol: )

That is great, I think that I would be one of those people to do that, :lol: ! I just don't have the money to buy both, or do I want both. I think that I would just get the iPod since it is so versatile, and you can use it to transport files as well! :yesnod: ^*^

PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:38 pm

I actually have the opposite situation. I have an iPod, but I can't use the white earbuds because they fall out. So I have to use the ones that came with my Sony Discman, which are black and go over the ears. :(
Media Director

Postby Malhovic » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:09 pm

I have never liked earbuds, that is why I get the big "DJ" headphone. As of now, I just bought these headphones for playing AA, and CS: Source. They are really nice. I prefer headphones over speakers for the computer as well. They are just better in my opinion! But of course, you have to have the good ol' 5.1 surround sound for the home theater system, it is just inevitable. :lol:

PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Operating Systems