A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Creative Declares War On iPod

Creative Declares War On iPod

Postby phileysmiley » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:42 am

Creative declares 'war' on Apple iPod, shoots for 40% market share of MP3 players
Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 10:12 PM EST

"War has been declared. Not the conventional type with the troops, tanks, and smart bombs, but an entertainment war for the $3 billion global music player business. Creative Technology has decided to move in against the giant Apple in an attempt to capture a 40% market share for MP3 music players.

In the three years since the iPod's launch, it has become the worldwide player of choice, claiming about 85% of the market, so to call this an uphill fight is something of an understatement," Kelvin Taylor writes for The Motley Fool. "Creative's plan of attack is a two-pronged approach. First, launch a wave of spending to the tune of $100 million to market its players such as the Zen Touch.

This is very iPod-like in appearance, and has a 24-hour battery life, twice that of the best iPod. ne hang-up for the Zen Touch -- other than there isn't any camouflage style available -- is that tracks from iTunes won't easily transfer. The files have to be converted into MP3 files first, but tunes from RealNetworks' music store, Harmony, can be easily transferred to the player," Taylor writes.

Taylor continues, "Secondly, the company has recruited an ally to help gain some advantage: Microsoft. Creative was one of the first hardware manufacturers to release a combination video/music player based on Microsoft's Portable Media Center concept earlier this year. And while so far reaction hasn't been great, many consider portable video players to be an important product category going forward."

:source: MacDailyNews
:view: complete article
Media Director

Postby GFLPraxis » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:52 pm

It's not smart to declare war on an opponent that can crush you like a bug. See ya later, Creative ;)
PRO Level 13

Postby phileysmiley » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:15 pm

What's even more amazing is that they are shooting for a 40% market share! That would be like Firefox shooting for a 40% market share vs. IE.

Wait a second, that may actually happen. :P
Media Director

Postby Malhovic » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:19 pm

Creative, Good Luck...I love your products...But this was a REALLY stupid move. Great idea if you are like a 7 year old making fake plans to take over the world because your parents told you to go to your room, otherwise, really dumb. I'll miss you!

PROfessional Member

Postby GFLPraxis » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:58 pm

phileysmiley wrote:What's even more amazing is that they are shooting for a 40% market share! That would be like Firefox shooting for a 40% market share vs. IE.

Wait a second, that may actually happen. :P

FireFox, EVENTUALLY. But it's not gonna happen SOON. And that's only because it's a VASTLY better browser, and the one with 90% share (IE) is an utter piece of crap.

On the other hand, the Creative products AREN'T vastly better than the iPod. So it's going to be a heckuvalot more difficult ;)
PRO Level 13

Postby Malhovic » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:01 am

GFLPraxis wrote:FireFox, EVENTUALLY. But it's not gonna happen SOON. And that's only because it's a VASTLY better browser, and the one with 90% share (IE) is an utter piece of crap.

On the other hand, the Creative products AREN'T vastly better than the iPod. So it's going to be a heckuvalot more difficult ;)

I see what you are saying, but I think that if anything, M$ would see that Firefox was far better and people weren't using IE and then M$ would just buy Firefox for a hefty price and everything would be over.

PROfessional Member

Postby GFLPraxis » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:15 am

Malhovic wrote:
GFLPraxis wrote:FireFox, EVENTUALLY. But it's not gonna happen SOON. And that's only because it's a VASTLY better browser, and the one with 90% share (IE) is an utter piece of crap.

I see what you are saying, but I think that if anything, M$ would see that Firefox was far better and people weren't using IE and then M$ would just buy Firefox for a hefty price and everything would be over.

Not when it's Open Source ^*^ Can't buy what nobody owns.
PRO Level 13

Postby OsirisX » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:40 am

MS has it's ways...... it's the same with Linux any attempts to go against MS is usually futile.......
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby Malhovic » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:55 am

Well that is the thing. M$ will find a way to get Firefox to stop selling their product. Just like when Metallica had the lawsuit and told Kazaa and Napster to knock off the file sharing! I am sure that M$ would do something similar to get Firefox to stop. They would find some sort of loophole and exploit it to get the FireFox developers in some sort of lawsuit trouble to make them stop distributing the product.

PROfessional Member

Postby SonicSpeed » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:59 am

Personally I don't see what so special about the Apple iPod, I've see one, there pretty good. But then I've seen (and heard) some of the Creative products, since they make the best soundcards, helps them make really good MP3 players. The iPod looks cool, I can see that, the scroll wheel is really cool. But the Zen Touch, has both of those features (the iPod looks a litlle cooler) plus better audio, can use MP3, WMA etc, (no AAC, but all my music is in WMA) plus it's a little cheaper, which always helps. But the 40% goal I think is reachable.

Sonic
PRO Level 14

Next

Return to Other Operating Systems