A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

MyWebSearch (Spyware) posts a tool-bar on my homepage

MyWebSearch (Spyware) posts a tool-bar on my homepage

Postby leecherous » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:21 pm

I have been annoyed by "MySearchWeb's" toolbar which has added itself below my MSN Toolbar in MSN's homepage. I'm using browser MSIE v6.0-SP1, Windows XP (HE) SP2 on a Compaq Pentium IV PC and DSL. I have removed spyware and adware with updated-upgraded SpyBot S&D v1.3 and Ad-Aware SE Personal. After these anti-spyware programs find and delete "MySearchWeb," specifically, I lose access to the Internet. The TCP/IP address used by my Ethernet Adapter goes bonkers: e.g. 169.202.XX.X, and it can't be re-addressed or changed back to an original-normal usable address. There are 60 or more spyware" programs discovered during the searches. However, "MySearchWeb" is the evil culprit. My solution to the adware problem (accessing the Internet with a normal-non-corrupted TCP/IP address) is to run "System Restore" with a choice of an earlier date and time prior to adware-spyware removal. I have also downloaded and installed the latest free AVG (by Grisoft) Antivirus. AVG has not found viruses. I can't even install "Panda Platinum Internet Security" to completion without an interrupt (lockup statement) that Panda has found adware, "MySearchWeb," running in the background. Panda wants to delete it, and it does. However, I cannot access the Internet from that time forward. MSN comes up with: "Page cannot be found!" What can I do to resolve this issue?
Jimbo
PRO New Member

Postby SCgone » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:37 pm

Have you removed it using Add/Remove programs? Make sure that any listed below are removed.

My Web Search (Smiley Central or FWP product as applicable)
My Way Speedbar (Smiley Central or other FWP as applicable)
My Way Speedbar (AOL and Yahoo Messengers) (beta users only)
My Way Speedbar (Outlook, Outlook Express, and IncrediMail)
Search Assistant - My Way

One of the best programs for this type of thing is HijackThis
PRO PLATINUM

MySearchWeb (Spyware) posts a tool-bar on my homepage

Postby leecherous » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:00 pm

Yes, I have removed all that you've suggested, Bell1. I repeat: removing "MySearchWeb" or "MyWebSearch" . . . I may have this title backwards, using Ad-Aware or SpyBot S&D, or "Add-Remove-Programs" results in the same problem . . . Access to the Internet is removed, also. I have not attempted "HiJackThis" because I'm deathly afraid of removing too much of the wrong stuff, resulting in total loss of Windows XP's operating system.
Jimbo
PRO New Member

Postby tWeaKmoD » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:03 pm

leecherous wrote:Yes, I have removed all that you've suggested, Bell1. I repeat: removing "MySearchWeb" or "MyWebSearch" . . . I may have this title backwards, using Ad-Aware or SpyBot S&D, or "Add-Remove-Programs" results in the same problem . . . Access to the Internet is removed, also. I have not attempted "HiJackThis" because I'm deathly afraid of removing too much of the wrong stuff, resulting in total loss of Windows XP's operating system.
You can try this: http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cw ... nload.html
PROfessional Member

Postby _Taz_ » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:04 pm

may not be same for you but I had one similar, once I got rid of the spyware adware stuff IE would lock up on me all the time. I put everything back, downloaded Firefox, installed it an internet worked fine. then I whacked all the adware spyware, uninstalled as much of IE as I could and then reinstalled it and it works now for me.
PRO Level 13

Postby tWeaKmoD » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:06 pm

Mwsoemon.exe installs with a newer variant of the MyWebSearch spyware program. Generally, a browser helper ojbect called mwsbar.dll will install at the same time.The toolbar does add search features but the search results you see will be hijacked to mywebsearch.com.

MWSOEMON shown on the task manager ( Press Ctrl-Alt-Del ), then try to end the task of the process mwsoemon.

Uninstall Myway MySpeedbar from Control Panel> Add/Remove programs. It might be called 'My Search Bar', 'MyWay Speed Bar' or 'My Web Search Bar', Click 'Remove' for what you find. Also remove 'Fun Web Products Easy Installer' if it is present.

If not you can remove them manually by running Regedit and find MWSOEMON and delete the key.

Restart computer and Find/Delete MWSOEMON.EXE.

:source: http://www.mac-net.com/445088.page
PROfessional Member

Postby lgk_195 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:15 pm

When removing some types of spyware/adware you can corrupt your winsock. I have had this happen to me at work many times. You should do a search on google for "WindowsXP winsock repair" or you can just use the thrid part one that I use here at work:

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

It will repair your winsock and allow you to get access back to the internet.

Hope this helps.
PRO Level 4

Postby xeo196 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:49 pm

lgk_195 wrote:When removing some types of spyware/adware you can corrupt your winsock. I have had this happen to me at work many times. You should do a search on google for "WindowsXP winsock repair" or you can just use the thrid part one that I use here at work:

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

It will repair your winsock and allow you to get access back to the internet.

Hope this helps.

Good point lgk_195.

@ leecherous, did you turn off system restore?
http://www.pchell.com/virus/systemrestore.shtml

Then run all the tools suggested in safe mode. Better yet, remove the cable before you do it. Clean the temp, cookies, and histories also.

xeo
My PC Specs?
I don't know.
I use dump terminal.
PRO Level 10

Postby lgk_195 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:57 pm

Did this guy ever get this issue fixed?
PRO Level 4

Postby xeo196 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:07 pm

Yes I did.
Sure, I did.
You betcha, I did.