A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Please Ease Up on the Registry Tweeks

Please Ease Up on the Registry Tweeks

Postby spike777 » Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:02 am

I know there are some good techs here, but the non-techs out number them 99 to 1.
Having said that please be carefull when you make registry edit suggestions. Many non-techees are going to see them & use them, they will make errors and be very unhappy.
The doctors moto of "first do no harm" should also be adopted by good techs giving good, but very risky advice to the non-techs that come here for help.
PRO Level 5

Postby purplehawk » Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:19 am

Excellent, Spike.

Heed his words, please! Perhaps we need to be instructing people on how to back up their registry... a sticky perhaps?
purplehawk

Postby XJan87 » Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:34 am

System Restore takes care of backing up the registry...
Maybe it'd be good to post registry changes as .reg files?....
PROfessional Member

Postby Shack » Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:38 am

I have to agree. Keep them to a minimum and if you do post a registry tweak it should start with a disclaimer to back up your registry first and a tutorial on how to back it up and restore it if something goes wrong.

Just my two cents

:new-alien: Shack

A television may insult your intelligence , but nothing rubs it in like a computer

Facism will come the this country wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross "Sinclair Lewis"
PROfessional Member

Postby TRIPLATE » Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:37 am

I say...the more the merrier..nothin like learning the hard way.....I personally have destroyed every OS from 95 to xp at least twice.LOL!........if i can , i always try them out on somebody elses confuser nowadays.....easier on the temper.
PRO New Member

I agree w/ TRIPLATE

Postby sig2262 » Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:51 am

The old motto of "If ain't broke, don't fix it" is for WIMPS ...

I much prefer, "If it ain't broke, tweak it and break it, then fix it to learn how to make it better"

:roll:
"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)
PRO Level 2

The pupose of

Postby Rocket » Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:10 pm

Sig,
The purpose of the Forum is to help people. Some of the people in here are like Spike and others "very good at what they do." Others are the one's whose first PC came with a preloaded version of XP. They come here and can be swayed to try anything to "make it work better." They will swap out a video card because it was advertised in the local paper even though there picture on their monitor is fine. These are the people I believe were talking about..........Yes %99 of the way you learn PC's is by trial and error but there is no need to encourage someone who does not know what Control'Alt'Delete means to go into the registry.....Its just not wise......We here to help not hinder peoples experience with all OS's...

And from the North is said "If its not broken, don't fix it."

Thanks for you consideration,
Brent
PRO Level 3

Postby SCJwl » Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:46 pm

I completely agree with you Brent.

I'm all for people voicing their opinions, but when it comes to advice/opinions to new (or nearly new)folks to pc's. We need to draw a line.

It took me a bit before I was comfortable even going into the registry (once I could find it).

But the point still goes back to spike's post.....be careful....

And to Purps....maybe somebody needs too post on the instructions to backing up the registry....it might save some grief for alot of people :lol:
PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:53 pm

I see both ways...

While some people have no need to fix what's wrong...

Some do.

This forum wouldn't be what it is, or any of this site was it is... if I hadn't fixed what wasn't broke... I kept on tweaking, and sometimes good things come from that.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Re: The pupose of

Postby sig2262 » Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:32 am

Oh gosh, let's lighten up shall we ... that's why I put the smiley face in my email ... or maybe it's just me that's too sensitive ... either way dude, I was half joking around ... but I've learned more from fubaring my system (only after making a complete back up of my registry) then I have by reading any forum posts.

Brent wrote:Sig,
The purpose of the Forum is to help people. Some of the people in here are like Spike and others "very good at what they do." Others are the one's whose first PC came with a preloaded version of XP. They come here and can be swayed to try anything to "make it work better." They will swap out a video card because it was advertised in the local paper even though there picture on their monitor is fine. These are the people I believe were talking about..........Yes %99 of the way you learn PC's is by trial and error but there is no need to encourage someone who does not know what Control'Alt'Delete means to go into the registry.....Its just not wise......We here to help not hinder peoples experience with all OS's...

And from the North is said "If its not broken, don't fix it."

Thanks for you consideration,
Brent
"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)
PRO Level 2

Next

Return to Guides