A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

What do you need to run a webserver on your own IP?

Postby OsirisX » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:25 pm

I don't think it'll be a good idea to host anything with DSL, ISPs REALLY do not like that.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby tao8 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:35 pm

UnknownDarknessX wrote:I don't think it'll be a good idea to host anything with DSL, ISPs REALLY do not like that.

In a way your right, it just depends on the ISP. DSL ISP's seem to be ok with it but cable ISP's on the other hand don't usually allow it.

The unwritten rule for cable ISP's is the excesive bandwidth usage rule,not really a policy. Where DSL ISP's don't adopt such a thing.

I would check the agreement and try to calculate what my traffic would be and how long I planned on keepin the site up. They very well may shut off your service if they find out.
PRO Level 2

Postby marathonman » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:35 pm

Just read through my ISP's T&C's, can't see anything saying specifically you may not host - but there is a bandwidth restriction at 30Gb per month after which they charge extra
marathonman

Postby OrphicFireball » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:19 pm

Yeah, my ISP specifically disallows running a webserver. I do use it for testing and developing webpages though, which should be fine. Anyway if you are still interested, I use http://www.no-ip.com/ since I have a dynamic IP as well.
PRO Level 12

Postby Gav... » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 pm

As far as Im aware, static IP or not , A DNS service such as what dyndns.org provide - free of charge for up to 5 addresses, is needed. Unless of course you are going to set up your own DNS server and configure A records etc.

If you have IIS , you dont need Apache, and vice-versa, if you need FrontPage extensions then you best be using IIS.

My own experience is with Apache, I find it easier to configure, especially being able to set up as many websites as I like with one IP address, these websites will need domain names pointing to them of course, or use dyndns.orgs domain names if your not vain that way.

I have a site that shows how to install Apache2/PHP/MySQL etc etc..

Apache Tutorial starts here.

Hope it is of use.
Gav...
PRO Level 3

Previous

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts