A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

FTP Access Managing

Postby imnuts » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:34 pm

weaver wrote:A great FTP server that does everything you want and more is PureFTPd. Virtual users are supported, which is something that would be a perfect fit in your case. Virtual users can be easily chroot'd to not allow access to parent directories.

that looks like a good program, but i went to download it for windows and when i try to access the windows folder, it says "directory not found" so i can't try it out, know of another place i could get a windows version

EDIT: nevermind, i found it :yesnod: it was under binaries
PRO SUPREME

Postby [Dima] » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:06 pm

done it! i CHMOD the folder to 500 this way no1 can upload or edit/delete files :)
[Dima]

Postby OrphicFireball » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:50 pm

Do the users have the ability to change it back for themselves? I'm just nervious about FTP, I had my FTP hacked once and filled with garbage. Not on my website, but on my home computer. Who knows how they found me, it wasn't anyone I knew.
"Pencil and paper /n./: an archaic information storage and transmission device that works by depositing smears of graphite on bleached wood pulp. More recent developments in paper-based technology include improved `write-once' update devices which use tiny rolling heads similar to mouse balls to deposit colored pigment. All these devices require an operator skilled at so-called 'handwriting' technique."
PRO Level 12

Postby Weaver » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:41 pm

Sketch wrote:done it! i CHMOD the folder to 500 this way no1 can upload or edit/delete files :)

If the uid that people use to login is the same uid that owns the files you chmod'd, then they can chmod them back assuming your ftp server allows/implements it (which most do) and they have a decent client. Standard Windows CLI 'ftp' doesn't support chmod'ing but graphical clients like FileZilla do.

In addition, every *nix FTP client I have used be it graphical or CLI has supported chmoding either through 'chmod' directly or a 'site' command like 'site chmod'.

From a command line client, you can usually see what types of extra commands the FTP server supports by accessing the remote help mechanism. This is usually via a command like 'rhelp' or 'remotehelp'.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby [Dima] » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:08 am

nope they cant change it.... i set the main folder to 500 from my main account which has access to /public_html/ and /public_ftp/ . As i set the permisson of the folder to 500 the users who login with other can only download stuff and cant edit anything. i even tried myself from that account. I tried chmod the files inside and it does allow it but when u try to do something to a file.. an error message comes up.
[Dima]

Postby OrphicFireball » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:09 pm

Nice, I'm glad you got it all figured out
PRO Level 12

Previous

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts