A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Folding @ Home

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Folding @ Home

Postby rippinchikkin » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:45 pm

Participation in Folding@home is the responsibility of the individual user. While Pronet may provide information on how to participate, we cannot be held liable for any damages which you may incur. We encourage you to only use your own personal computer or computers that you own or have control over. Being a part of a Folding Team can be a fun and worthwhile activity, but you do so at your own risk.

What does Folding@Home do? Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.
What are proteins and why do they "fold"? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out their biochemical function, they remarkably assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, and Parkinson's disease.

Folding@Home, Main Site
Folding Download
Folding@Home, PROnetworks Team Page
Folding@Home: Extreme Overclocking - Detailed Stats Page

PROnetworks Team Number: 13790

Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 308 of 43624
Last edited by rippinchikkin on Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:34 pm, edited 89 times in total.
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
VP - Syndication

Postby ar1stotle » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:42 am

Ive been helping out too. I have 1 computer at my house running it full time and I installed it on like 2 comps at school (Mandeville High), but I think one of them got reformatted. I'll try to get it on some more if possible
PRO BRONZE

Postby Malhovic » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:56 pm

Yeah mine refuses to install. I don't get it, I want to join since I could run it on my computer at work for lik 16 hours while I am away from work!!! Dangit!!!

PROfessional Member

Postby poisonbl » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:03 pm

hmm ... did you try the console version?
PRO Level 10
Location: WVU -- Morgantown, WV. -- USA (TZ: -5 hrs GMT, -4 DST)

Postby imnuts » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:54 am

does anyone know if you can install multiple F@H things and have them running all at once. like the tray client and the screen saver?
PRO SUPREME

Postby poisonbl » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:38 pm

yes, but they all have to be in separate directories (so they all work on different units, and don't corrupt each other's work)
PRO Level 10
Location: WVU -- Morgantown, WV. -- USA (TZ: -5 hrs GMT, -4 DST)

Postby OsirisX » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:26 am

Does pronet have a folding team that I can specify, so that it will add up our totals?
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:31 am

OsirisX wrote:Does pronet have a folding team that I can specify, so that it will add up our totals?

yes it's 13790

poisonbl wrote:yes, but they all have to be in separate directories (so they all work on different units, and don't corrupt each other's work)

thanks for letting me know
Last edited by imnuts on Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRO SUPREME

Postby OsirisX » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:33 am

Ah thanks.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby rippinchikkin » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:18 pm

OKOKOK
I just talked a guy at the folding forum, and you can change teams.
Im moving my 6 or so PC over here now.
ttl
:yahoo:
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
VP - Syndication

Next

Return to Distributed Computing