A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Turn on your firewall

Turn on your firewall

Postby Xstream » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:52 pm

Microsoft included a firewall in Windows XP to keep you safe from hackers while you cruise the Internet. How do you know that the Internet Connection Firewall is on? Go to the Control Panel and double-click the Network Connections icon. In the dial-up, DSL, or cable connection dialog that appears, check the Status column. If your firewall is on, it should say Firewalled. You can turn the firewall off with the check box, but unless you are going to add a third-party firewall for heightened security, it's best to leave it on.
Now that you know that your firewall is on, how do you know that it's doing its job? Test it with ShieldsUp, the free testing service sponsored by Gibson Research. According to our tests, XP's Internet Connection Firewall kept the computer in full stealth mode. Hackers could not break in and couldn't even see the computer online.
But, given the latest security problems with USB 2.0, etc, you should always go to Windows Update to make sure you have the latest patches, no matter what operating system you use.
PROfessional Member

Postby Weaver » Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:33 pm

I was just wondering if you know any more about the Windows XP firewall? Any juicy details, etc. I know I could go look it up, but for some reason all my hosts file have microsoft.com mapped to 127.0.0.1 Strange...

Thanks.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby Xstream » Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:37 am

nothing juicy, but to learn a bit more, you could look here....
http://www.lpt.com/windowsnetworking/re ... pmdfrw.htm
PROfessional Member

Postby SCgone » Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:16 am

One downside is that it's inbound protection only. It can also cause problems on LAN's, especially when a Win98 machine is trying to connect to an XP machine.

Weaver wrote:I was just wondering if you know any more about the Windows XP firewall? Any juicy details, etc. I know I could go look it up, but for some reason all my hosts file have microsoft.com mapped to 127.0.0.1 Strange...

Thanks.

-Weaver
PRO PLATINUM

Return to Guides