A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Laptop but not mobile.

Laptop but not mobile.

Postby coenraad » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:09 pm

Hi you troubleshooters,

I own a brandnew laptop, a Clevo 5600P. P4, 2,4 , Ati radeon 9000 mobility and so on. I think I do need a biosupdate, because it will not run on batterypower. With adapter no problems, everything is fine. Clevo (Taiwan) has all the drivers, but no biosupdate. (Phoenix 4.0 Release 6.0
Bios ID SHE845MO.86C.0013.D.0210010941)
I'm not sure if it is the bios, anyone of you a idea ?
I'm searching allready 3 weeks at the known driversites, but without result

Thanks for your reaction.
A computer is like my wife, she doesn't do allways what I want.
Banned

Postby _Taz_ » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:43 pm

are you sure the battery is not defective? I've never heard of a laptop that won't run on battery due to a bios issue (but stranger things have happened)
PRO Level 13

Postby Karsini » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:49 am

If its a brand new laptop I'd return it - that certainly wouldn't be caused by the BIOS. Its possible that either the battery or the battery charge controller is faulty. You could also check to see if the electrodes are actually touching the battery, but that may be tricky depending on how the battery slots in.
PRO Level 2

Postby OsirisX » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:53 am

I would suggest returning it, can very well be a hardware prob.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby PSE-Axe » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:53 pm

Historically, batteries and charge related problems are the most prevalent in the laptop industry. If your laptop is still covered under warranty it should definitely be returned for repair.

One sure way to identify a battery or charge system fault is to verify whether the battery can be detected and/or charged in the OS. If it is detected and charging (above critical level) but will not power the laptop there is normally a fault condition in the power/charging circuit. If the battery is not detected you'll want to inspect the contact terminals on both the battery and in the battery bay. If possible, borrow a battery from someone using the same laptop build and test with it. If a borrowed battery works you've found the failure, time to order a replacement, if not it could be RMA time.
PRO New Member

Return to Hardware and Customizing