A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Hard Drive Trouble

Hard Drive Trouble

Postby johnjingle » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:17 pm

I have an internal hard drive dedicated to my MP3 collection. I bought an external drive to move the music to, but I get a blue screen everytime I try to move multiple files from the drive to either the eveternal drive or my other internal drives.

Any suggestions?
PRO New Member

Postby augie » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:20 pm

What does your blue screen say? There's at the top xxxx_xxxx_ etc and at the bottom is a series of 5 numbers, need the first set. Also, what OS are you running?
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby ~Robrowe~ » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:28 pm

Also what type Of hdd? is it USB2.0, firewire? could be just the drivers we need more info.
PROfessional Member

upgrade your board drivers

Postby culturerevolt » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:07 am

i had a problem similar to this, only everytime i would try to copy one file i would get a BSOD... what i did was update everything on my board from the board manufactuer's website... it may not be needed, but i also upgraded my bios...
PRO Level 2

Postby xACEKx » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:38 am

does your computer show that you have an external drive installed and working?
Are your jumpers set correctly on your drives?
have you tried a firmware upgrade?
answer some questions, and i think we can help ya.
BTW welcome to PrOneT!
PRO Level 3

Postby phileysmiley » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:43 am

Your post caught my eye. I bought a Western Digital External HD for the sole purpose of moving my mp3's, too. I had lost 3000 songs in a previous disaster and once I got that PC back up and running I wouldn't let it happen again. I had no problem. As the above posters said, let us have some more information. We will all try to help you. I know what it's like.
Media Director

Postby Cbarnhorst » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:50 pm

Check your events log (if using XP Pro). On any red-x entry right click, select properties, and follow the instructions for allowing your system to access the MS database. With luck this will lead you to the name of the manufacturer of the driver causing the BSOD.

I had the same problem with usb2 drives I was using for backups and data storage.
Colin Barnhorst

You know you're a geek when your wife says you have to make a choice, and you know how much you're going to miss her.
PRO Level 3

Postby kujasti » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:57 am

Are you using an intel integrated usb 2 port? If so update the usb drivers. It will be a file named infinst.exe I believe. That should take care of your problem if not try updating the bios and running windows update
DWR
PRO New Member

Return to Hardware and Customizing