A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Global win CAK4-88T(U.S)

Global win CAK4-88T(U.S)

Postby rippinchikkin » Fri May 21, 2004 4:02 pm

Hey, this is probably a dumb question, but what the hell here goes.
I got this great copper heatsink, its made with adapters to go on either a AMD or Intel P4. I am using it on a P4
So the bottom of the heat sink has a grove cut out of one side for the AMD(I don
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
VP - Syndication

Postby imnuts » Fri May 21, 2004 6:27 pm

if the groove creates a space between the cpu and heatsink it could cause then it would be cooled by air instead of the copper, and air is not very good at transferring heat. so move the groove to the front and see if the temps decrease again or not. then you'll have a definite answer.
PRO SUPREME

thanks

Postby rippinchikkin » Fri May 21, 2004 6:38 pm

ya, the groove(i just love saying that) is really off to the side, so it actually dosent really sit on the chip(the groove that is) I would not have felt comfortable placing anything but pure copper or alum right next to my processor(even I aint that dumb, well most of the time)
will post results.
enjoy the weekend,^*^
HAND
RIP
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
VP - Syndication

Postby imnuts » Fri May 21, 2004 6:44 pm

that is the only reason i could think of that would cause that type of problem, that or the contact between the heat sink and processor isn't as good as it could be, preventing maximum heat transfer.
PRO SUPREME

Postby rippinchikkin » Sat May 22, 2004 1:07 am

well I filped the hs around, and it made no diffrence. Hey, I guess 90 degress F is not bad for a cpu. Heck here in Louisania, its 85 inside. so guess I should be pleased when my cpu is only a few degrees above room temp.
Im just anal about things, hmmmm maybe I need to try water cooled?
yall have a good week end, we got big angus steaks and mudbugs cooking so Im joining the party

HAND
RIP
VP - Syndication

Postby OsirisX » Sat May 22, 2004 1:09 am

I wouldn't suggest water cooling unless you are doing some major ocing as it is unessary for the price and complicated setup.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Return to Hardware and Customizing