A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Nioxin's Devastating No-Boot Hardware Problems...

Nioxin's Devastating No-Boot Hardware Problems...

Postby nioxin » Thu May 06, 2004 1:40 pm

Ok everyone, this is a re-posting of what I have over at ExpertsExchange.com - So I thought I would get some secondary questions answerd here.

----------

Question Title: Devastating No-Boot Hardware Problems
Author: nioxin11
Date: 05/06/2004 01:49AM PDT

Hello everybody, I'm new to the site, so currently I don't have any points as of yet.

Anyway, I came to this site a little while to find the answer to my hardware problems. First off a week ago, I had the dreaded "No POST" beeps when I turned on my computer. Previous to that, my computer shut off the day before in the middle of my work. I heard a strange electronic fart with a beeping noise mixed in comming from the speakers... and the computer shut off. And right after that, I wasn't able to turn on the computer anymore (No POST). After switching and testing the CPUs, VPU, PSU, CMOS Battery, RAM, everything led to a fried motherboard. Oh how fun, and a little expensive for a college student. Anyway, after buying a new motherboard and some more RAM - the computer worked for this whole week. No problems at all... untill just a few hours ago. I went to turn the computer on and... now there's no power. There is nothing showing on the power LEDs on the front panel, and no small "clicking" noise when I plug the power cord into the comp.

I checked all the power connectors, cycled the PSU, changed the CMOS battery.. and alas.. nothing... no fans, no noises. nada. My system configuration is as follows...

Customized Alienware Area51
MSI 865PE - Neo2-P motherboard -- (x2) Intel P4 3.07GHz 800bus -- OC'd @ 3.53 GHz (ATX- Chieftec 400w PSU)
DangerDen Maze 4 watercooling
1GB DDR 533 Ram
ATi 9700 128, OC'd @ 353MHz - 334MHz RAMDAC,
Maxtor 160GB, Seagate 80GB - and one 40GB Fireware (no-name?) -- One DVD, and one CD-RW -- one IEE34 (?) Firewire Port card, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 card, USB 2.0 ext. card, USB Cam

Now my questions are this....
(1) What would have caused my system to fry the motherboard in the first incident?
(2) Now why would the PSU be failing?... and would that have caused the motherboard to fry in the first incident?
-- Or is it possible that something is shorting out the MB and causing everything to just go haywire?...
(3) Any help and suggestions as to helping me solve this failure?

Now I know I'm watercooling and don't let that be part of the problem... I've ran this machine with watercooling for over a year with no problems at all. There are no leaks or condensation in the computer/mb. The CPUs are always cold and kept running at optimal temp.. even at extreme overclocking situations. I think the PSU is dying.. or dead or just doesn't have enough power to supply all the crap on this beast. And I don't have a voltimeter to check. I am going to steal my roommate's PSU to check if that works. I have extended bought warranties on the new motherboard.. so I can return that for a new one (no questions asked). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Nioxin

-----------------------------------

Just hope someone around here might have some insight as well to my problems. Some of the IT Pros over at ExpertExchange think it is the PSU dying and might have also fried my new motherboard as well. So what do you guys think?

Nioxin :cool: :dontgetit
PROfessional Member

Postby glexp » Thu May 06, 2004 2:48 pm

It very well could be the PSU. Depending on the power requirements of your system, the PSU may be at its limit. Typically, though, a well designed PSU will shutdown (crowbar) when excess current is required. Add up the power requirements (in watts) for all your components, multiply by some safety margin (1.3 to 1.5) and you'll know what sort of PSU is needed. As far as water cooling / OC'ing: even though the device is cool, it still requires more than its usual (rated) amount of power. The cooling method merely allows better heat transfer.

Hope this helps,
-GP
What, me worry?

- Luck is the residue of proper planning...
PROfessional Member

Return to Hardware and Customizing