A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

This is a good book for learning PHP

This is a good book for learning PHP

Postby Dalsim » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:45 am

Ok I have kept a promise that I made to myself about learning PHP. I started of learning VB in year 11 in IPT (Information Processing and Technology) and got high marks for it but it is too OS specific.

Solution.......

About 1 week ago I went out and bought a book called "SAMS Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL and Apache" which steps you through installing and using MySQL, Apache and PHP on both Windows and *nix systems and then teaches you programing in PHP.

The reason I bought this one is because I am familiar with MySQL but I don't know jack about Apache or PHP. I am by no way through the book yet but I have found it very interesting and helpful.

I just thought that this might help those who are interested in learning PHP.
"Life is merely a fraction of a second. An infinitely small amount of time to fulfill our desires, our dreams, our passions." Paul Gauguin (1848 - 1904)
AEST
PROfessional Member

Postby freds_revenge » Wed May 05, 2004 12:52 am

i learned PHP from http://www.w3schools.com. its a really good website
PRO New Member

Postby OsirisX » Wed May 05, 2004 1:01 am

The link does not seem to work.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby shougan » Wed May 05, 2004 2:20 am

There is a . after .com it looks like .com./
Do you want the latest news on Betas & Software, Security, or even Vista? Check out our <a href="http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/home_index.php" target="_blank" class="postlink">news areas</a> and be sure to <a href="http://www.pro-networks.org/main/newsletters.htm" target="_blank" class="postlink">subscribe to our PROneT newsletters!</a>
PRO Level 15

Re: This is a good book for learning PHP

Postby Weaver » Wed May 05, 2004 8:08 pm

dalsim wrote:Ok I have kept a promise that I made to myself about learning PHP. I started of learning VB in year 11 in IPT (Information Processing and Technology) and got high marks for it but it is too OS specific.

Solution.......

About 1 week ago I went out and bought a book called "SAMS Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL and Apache" which steps you through installing and using MySQL, Apache and PHP on both Windows and *nix systems and then teaches you programing in PHP.

The reason I bought this one is because I am familiar with MySQL but I don't know jack about Apache or PHP. I am by no way through the book yet but I have found it very interesting and helpful.

I just thought that this might help those who are interested in learning PHP.

I have never been a fan of the "in 24 hour" books. I have read a few of them and find them to be not up to par with the "other" books that I have read. This is especially true with the PHP books that I have seen.

I have discussed this many times before, search the forum and you will find me talking about programming. If you are learning PHP as a first language, you need to get yourself a nice long book written for first time programmers. If you have a few languages under your belt, grab yourself a PHP book geared toward programmers, these come more in the form of reference books.

In neither case would I recommend a "24 hour" book. Just a personal preference, arguments welcome.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby Dalsim » Wed May 05, 2004 11:52 pm

Weaver, this book is not a 24 hour book. Since I posted the original post I am about 1/3 the way through the book. I am just getting strated on "Flow Controls" now.
"Life is merely a fraction of a second. An infinitely small amount of time to fulfill our desires, our dreams, our passions." Paul Gauguin (1848 - 1904)
AEST
PROfessional Member

Postby Weaver » Thu May 06, 2004 3:50 am

dalsim wrote:Weaver, this book is not a 24 hour book. Since I posted the original post I am about 1/3 the way through the book. I am just getting strated on "Flow Controls" now.

I apologize, I read your post too quickly. Are you learning a lot? Have you had a chance to put your knowledge to good use yet? If you are interested in any of my PHP scripts, you can check out this link . I am particularly proud of the file upload script. If you spot any problems or holes in it, please let me know.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
PROfessional Member

Postby Dalsim » Thu May 06, 2004 4:05 am

File upload script... I am after one of those at the moment for the LH 4074 screen shots.

I am finding the book rather interesting, though I have to go back and re-read some parts. I am slowly getting the hang of things though. I tend to learn better if someone shows me how things work, so this is new to me :yesnod:
AEST
PROfessional Member

Postby Dalsim » Thu May 06, 2004 4:09 am

Ok Weaver, here is one for you.

I tried you upload script and I am getting two errors.

Code: Select all
NOTE: Using Original Filename: yes

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/public_html/PROneT/LH/4074/Main.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/jrobin/public_html/PROneT/LH/4074/upload.php on line 159

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move '/tmp/phpkjBSyh' to '/public_html/PROneT/LH/4074/Main.jpg' in /home/jrobin/public_html/PROneT/LH/4074/upload.php on line 159

ERROR: Move Failed

Any Ideas?
AEST
PROfessional Member

Postby Weaver » Thu May 06, 2004 4:23 am

dalsim wrote:Ok Weaver, here is one for you.

I tried you upload script and I am getting two errors.

Code: Select all
NOTE: Using Original Filename: yes

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/public_html/PROneT/LH/4074/Main.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/jrobin/public_html/PROneT/LH/4074/upload.php on line 159

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move '/tmp/phpkjBSyh' to '/public_html/PROneT/LH/4074/Main.jpg' in /home/jrobin/public_html/PROneT/LH/4074/upload.php on line 159

ERROR: Move Failed

Any Ideas?

Make sure you read the README, INSTALL and the necessary comments. I am guessing the directory you are trying to move to, $UPLOAD_DIR, is not writable by the webserver. The webserver needs to be able to write to this directory. Read the comments and set the global variables accordingly.

I'll try to add a check for this in the next version.

-Weaver
Public Keys

PROfessional Member

Next

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts