A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Hard Drive Questions

Postby imnuts » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:25 pm

OLDNY wrote:You could always get an external hard drive to use for backing up. I have an Iomega 80GB HDD and it will more then do the job for you. Do you mind me asking, do you ever get rid of anything?

I usually dont get mess around with programs after they're installed, maybe the settings but after i install something it usually stays on my sustem. Files on the other hand come and go with their usefullness. Most of my files that i want stay on my computer, things like music, office files, and video clips.

And the reason i dont have much space is because i have so many movies/video clips on my computer. I will probably delete some of the video clips soon to make space but im leaving my movies alone, unless i find one of poor quality
PRO SUPREME

Postby OsirisX » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:13 pm

I would highly suggest getting another hd, external or external if you save movies and video clips on your hd. They take up gs and gs of you hd space. The 120g and 160g internal hds are getting real cheap now, especcially when you get it on sale. I got 120g hd about 7 month ago for about $70 after reabates.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:17 am

i have a dell right now and i cant fit another hd in my case, both bays are already used. Im just saving my money for a new computer with 4 hds in it so i dont run out of room (i hope)

this is the setup that i want to get
http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=680148
PRO SUPREME

Postby SCgone » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:17 am

imnuts wrote:i have a dell right now and i cant fit another hd in my case, both bays are already used. Im just saving my money for a new computer with 4 hds in it so i dont run out of room (i hope)

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=680148

That's what I love about the Antec server case I just purchased. The drive bays just snap out so the drives can be installed outside the case then snapped back in. Plus there's plenty of extra rails to mount on the drives so they can be snapped in and out.

Specs

PRO PLATINUM

Postby OsirisX » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:22 am

The funny thing is that I built a friend a pc with the exact same case a few month ago. It was only $40 bucks or something. I love how sturdy and "strong" the case was and the snaps for the cd roms is a great feature, the locks may someday be useful.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby SCgone » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:24 am

unknowndarknessx wrote:The funny thing is that I built a friend a pc with the exact same case a few month ago. It was only $40 bucks or something. I love how sturdy and "strong" the case was and the snaps for the cd roms is a great feature, the locks may someday be useful.

With the 500W power supply I paid about $120 for mine.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby OsirisX » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:31 am

The power supply was incuded too, I think it was the exact same model, I think there was an instant rebate plus a mail in reabate. Although I'd say that that case will be worth every single penny of the $120, considering the time saved just that that snaping cd rom feature.
OsirisX

PROfessional Member

Postby UjusME » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:36 pm

Bell1 wrote:
imnuts wrote:i have a dell right now and i cant fit another hd in my case, both bays are already used. Im just saving my money for a new computer with 4 hds in it so i dont run out of room (i hope)

That's what I love about the Antec server case I just purchased. The drive bays just snap out so the drives can be installed outside the case then snapped back in. Plus there's plenty of extra rails to mount on the drives so they can be snapped in and out.

Specs

I used to use that kind of case(mine had a window). You need to lift weights just to pick it up though. :whistle
PRO Level 8

Postby imnuts » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:15 pm

yeah i heard this thing is insanely heavy, thats why i picked the all aluminum model, its about half the weight of the steel/aluminum ones
PRO SUPREME

Postby ~Robrowe~ » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:37 pm

On the cases if you have an aluminum one that looks like that it is a cheftec if it was 40 bux. Antecs are made from stainless and cost a bit more.

On the hard drive issue I personally would leave the current drive in tact just as it is and add the second one as slave on the same IDE channel which should be IDE0 which is the first IDE channel that is searched for an MBR. IDE1 should be used for optical drives and every other IDE device you may have. You do not want a hard drive on the same channel as an optical drive as the channel speed defaults to the slowest drive on the channel. ATA133 Drives run in UDMA6 or 133MHZ where the newest optical drives run UDMA2 or 66MHZ so if you put your hard drive on the same channel you end up with a drive that is only as fast as a cdrom.
One thing that a lot of people miss is setting up the UDMA. IF you open up device manager then expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers you will see both of your IDE channels. right click on each of the primary and secondary, select properties thenselect the advanced tab then set everything to DMA if available. The OS will auto detect which DMA mode based on the slowest drive that is on that channel.

Hope this helped. ^*^
PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to Hardware and Customizing