A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Urgent Help

Postby SCgone » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:19 pm

I personally try to avoid any of those installation programs for drives. I don't know about the newest, but Maxblast used to write to the boot sector and it was h*ll trying to rid the drive of it.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby glexp » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:29 pm

Bell1 wrote:I personally try to avoid any of those installation programs for drives. I don't know about the newest, but Maxblast used to write to the boot sector and it was h*ll trying to rid the drive of it.

I've used MaxBlast since version 1.0. Never had any issues with the boot sector. 'Course all my drives are Maxtor...
What, me worry?

- Luck is the residue of proper planning...
PROfessional Member

Postby SCgone » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:04 am

glexp wrote:
Bell1 wrote:I personally try to avoid any of those installation programs for drives. I don't know about the newest, but Maxblast used to write to the boot sector and it was h*ll trying to rid the drive of it.

I've used MaxBlast since version 1.0. Never had any issues with the boot sector. 'Course all my drives are Maxtor...

You've been lucky then. I previously used Maxtors, until I couldn't stand the whining. I've also used Maxblast on one and it does install EZbios, which causes all sorts of problems if using DOS or other software. I just don't like 3rd party software messing with the MBR. Here's from Maxtor itself...

"At times, a hard drive partition table (Master Boot Record {MBR}) can become corrupted. Corruption can stem from anything from operating system installation to boot sector viruses. In most cases the DOS Command Line syntax of FDISK/MBR can refresh a damaged MBR. The exception to this rule is hard drives that depend on MaxBlast (EZ BIOS). The scope of this document is to provide users with a procedure for restoring the MBR on a hard drive in a system where one of the drives has been formatted with MaxBlast Plus."
PRO PLATINUM

Postby glexp » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:49 am

Better thank my lucky stars!

Thanks for the input. I've used MaxBlast for low-level formats and diagnostics. Also never installed EZ-BIOS when prompted. The drives I've had were always extremely quiet. Important since I run with the covers off the box. I'll take your input under advisement when next I buy a hard drive!
What, me worry?

- Luck is the residue of proper planning...
PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to Hardware and Customizing