A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Corrupted and Unreadable External HD

Postby glexp » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:51 am

michaelangels wrote:i have never heard of these tricks, and hope i will never have to try it

And you won't...as long as you religiously do backups. As RRCinci alluded to, the sticktion problems of Seagate and other strange occurrences are rare these days. Hardware (mech.) design marches on just like the electronic and software disciplines.

GP
What, me worry?

- Luck is the residue of proper planning...
PROfessional Member

Postby DTOXX » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:36 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I actually went with the "thwunk" method and so far it's working out OK. I also reoriented the drive - it's been running for the past 3 years vertically, so I'm running it flat now; this seems to have improved the performance somewhat.

I don't plan on trying to resurrect this unit - in fact I think I'd like to make a little movie of its final moments from my desk to the parking lot two stories below...

So, I ordered an Iomega 120GB external FW. I based this decision on good reviews. However, Lacie also offers a 160GB external at about $50 less. Has anyone had any experience with either of these manufacturers? Should I stick with the Iomega, or go for the Lacie?
PRO Level 4

Postby *Starz* » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:57 pm

So "thwunk" it was...LOL...hope you're able to complete what is necessary for you...I don't believe that's supposed to work for very long...If you get that movie...it might be kinda fun to see...let us know the end result for you on all of this... :lol:
[align=center]Image

~ You Are Never Given A Wish Without Being Given The Power To Make It Come True ~[/align]
PRO Level 16

Postby glexp » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:58 am

Thwunking, freezing, thawing....

Is this the Pro-Networks forum or one of the Emeril Lugasi cooking shows...:)
What, me worry?

- Luck is the residue of proper planning...
PROfessional Member

Postby *Starz* » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:21 am

LOL...It is one of our more hi tech threads... :lol: :whistle
[align=center]Image

~ You Are Never Given A Wish Without Being Given The Power To Make It Come True ~[/align]
PRO Level 16

Previous

Return to Hardware and Customizing