A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Speed Up Network Browsing

Speed Up Network Browsing

Postby JustinS » Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:27 am

Hey all, this is old, but some might not know it. But ya know when your using your win xp machine on a network and trying to access a Win 98, Win ME machine and its so d*mn slow?? Well here is how to fix it In XP, select Run from your start menu. Type "regedit" in the box and click OK. Once you're in Regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace Now, simply delete the two keys (a bunch of long numbers and letters) under this, which are the "Printers" and "Scheduled Tasks" keys. You can still share and use printers, so don't worry. Myself and many others i know have done this, and its a huge increase in network browsing
JustinS

Postby Donal » Sat Jun 22, 2002 6:49 pm

Thanks for that tip, your another one of them Linux fans i see lol
Donal From Ireland
PRO Level 5

Postby JustinS » Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:40 pm

Yuppers!! I love Linux. If you could run more programs with it, i would run it as my primary OS. But, seeing that im on a Windows XP Forum, I guess i have to use Windows Xp :D
JustinS

Postby eyeshades » Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:02 am

what does elimating those two keys do?
PRO New Member

Postby epec254 » Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:25 am

It prevents XP from trying to find something that doesn't exist. It does work to speed up 9x machine browsing from an XP computer.
VP - Technology
VP - Technology

Return to Guides