A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

NEW HD Jumper PRoblems

NEW HD Jumper PRoblems

Postby Sonic98 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:20 pm

I just went out and bought a new harddrive, and I can not set it as the master. I can set it to Single/Master, Master with slave, or the Cable Select settings and it will show up as master when on an IDE chain by itself. When I try to put another HD on as slave only the slave HD shows up during boot or in BIOS when it checks for IDE devices.

I then tried setting each HD as a master on different chains and setting each RW drive as the slave, but then the new hard drive shows up as a master without a slave.

When I set one RW drive as the slave and the other as the master on the 2nd IDE chain, and I set the old drive as the master and the new drive as the slave on the 1St IDE chain, everything is recognized.

I did notice that the old drive did only have 4 jumper settings as opposed to 5,but now I figure that doesn't matter since the new drive won't work with a CD drive on the chain with it either.
PRO Level 5

Postby SCgone » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:45 pm

Have you tried a new ribbon cable? Also, are you putting the new master on the end plug and the old on the intermittent plug. Or are you using a separate cable for each drive.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Sonic98 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:28 pm

I basically been trying to change jumpers, but changing the plug was about to be my next move. I am also going to try one of my other ribbon cables. I kinda wish I'd bout a round cable when I bought the drive.
PRO Level 5

Postby SCgone » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:52 pm

Sonic98 wrote:I basically been trying to change jumpers, but changing the plug was about to be my next move. I am also going to try one of my other ribbon cables. I kinda wish I'd bout a round cable when I bought the drive.

If you go with a round cable, plan on paying a little more. There are good ones and there are cheap ones, I'm just not sure there are any good, cheap ones.

Also, double check the #1 pin. I can't imagine a drive having the pins backwards, but I guess anythings possible.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Sonic98 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:50 pm

I was the cables. I had to switch them around and put the master on the end. The old drive is still showing up as C, but I guess once I re-create the partitions, this will be remedied or when I boot up from the XP installed on the new drive.
PRO Level 5

Postby SCgone » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:59 pm

if the drive is jumpered "cable select", and both the system and ribbon cable support cable select, master and slave is determined by the position on the data ribbon cable. Depending how the system controls the cable select line on the ribbon cable determines where the master and slave need to be attached.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby wpsr2005 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:38 am

That is very true Bell1, I was going to say the same thing. Try putting in a different cable and put both of them on Cable Select and it will recognize depending on what position it is on the ribbon. If your old HD does not have Cable Select, Try putting the new one (Set to Cable Select) and one of you CD-Roms or CD-RW (Set to Cable Select) and it should correct your porblum.
PRO Level 3

Postby roadx » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:13 am

Pls, check the cable between plug #1 & plug #2. if you see a small hole at #11 (?) wire, that meens the plug of the front is ONLY FOR MASTER and the other one is only for slave. In this case you have cable to work in "Cable select" case.
PRO Level 2

Postby damien » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:33 am

Weird..I have never faced that problem yet..My slave Harddrive doesnt even have jumpers..
PRO New Member

Postby plazmo » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:51 am

some hardrives dont need jumpers to be slave .. it should say clearly on the harddrive where the jumpers go for master, cable and slave ..

you might be having problems due to your other hardrive..normally on a hardrive for master you only need one jumper .. with it having more than 2 jumpers on normally means its still in factory settings and will kepp booting up as master no mateer what you do with the cables..

on your harddrive where the 4 pins are either on the board or a lable should tell you in 3 letters what them pins are for...

please post the letters by the pins and it might be in factory settings .. remove a couple of pins and only leave the ones on that you need for master or slave ..hope that helps you ^*^
PRO Level 9

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing