A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

ASP for beginners...

ASP for beginners...

Postby djdabaer » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:38 pm

I found this article on a great info site, and you can view the rest of the site here!
This site is a great resource for beginners. And it also includes a bunch of sample scripts. Please keep looking, for I will be posting more info soon.

What Are Active Server Pages?

Active Server Pages (ASPs) are Web pages that contain server-side scripts in addition to the usual mixture of text and HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) tags. Server-side scripts are special commands you put in Web pages that are processed before the pages are sent from your Personal Web Server to the Web browser of someone who's visiting your Web site. . When you type a URL in the Address box or click a link on a Web page, you're asking a Web server on a computer somewhere to send a file to the Web browser (sometimes called a "client") on your computer. If that file is a normal HTML file, it looks exactly the same when your Web browser receives it as it did before the Web server sent it. After receiving the file, your Web browser displays its contents as a combination of text, images, and sounds.

In the case of an Active Server Page, the process is similar, except there's an extra processing step that takes place just before the Web server sends the file. Before the Web server sends the Active Server Page to the Web browser, it runs all server-side scripts contained in the page. Some of these scripts display the current date, time, and other information. Others process information the user has just typed into a form, such as a page in the Web site's guestbook.

To distinguish them from normal HTML pages, Active Server Pages are given the ".asp" extension.

What Can You Do with Active Server Pages?

There are many things you can do with Active Server Pages.
    You can display date, time, and other information in different ways.
    You can make a survey form and ask people who visit your site to fill it out, send emails, save the information to a file, etc

What Do Active Server Pages Look Like?

The appearance of an Active Server Page depends on who or what is viewing it. To the Web browser that receives it, an Active Server Page looks just like a normal HTML page. If a visitor to your Web site views the source code of an Active Server Page, that's what they see: a normal HTML page. However, the file located in the server looks very different. In addition to text and HTML tags, you also see server-side scripts. This is what the Active Server Page looks like to the Web server before it is processed and sent in response to a request.

What Do Server-Side Scripts Look Like?

Server-side scripts look a lot like HTML tags. However, instead of starting and ending with lesser-than ( < ) and greater-than ( > ) brackets, they typically start with <% and end with %>. The <% is called an opening tag, and the %> is called a closing tag. In between these tags are the server-side scripts. You can insert server-side scripts anywhere in your Web page--even inside HTML tags.

Do You Have to Be a Programmer to Understand Server-Side Scripting?
There's a lot you can do with server-side scripts without learning how to program. For this reason, much of the online Help for Active Server Pages is written for people who are familiar with HTML but aren't computer programmers.

-Jeremy
PROfessional Member

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:04 pm

yo i am starting ASP how do i restrict accounts from using it

brent@geeks2go.ca

Postby s. sengupta » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Thanks djdabaer.I like it.
PRO Level 15

Postby Mac33 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:20 pm

Like it Jeremy.
thanks for that and look forward to more.
all the best :yesnod:
PROfessional Member

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:32 pm

I have found that ASP is nice because it will accept most VB and Java Script code.

Postby DEVILSAN » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:I have found that ASP is nice because it will accept most VB and Java Script code.
can anyone provide help on CGI,Perl.......................... :yesnod:
PRO Level 13

Postby djdabaer » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:45 pm

I added a thread for PERL Here

-Jeremy
PROfessional Member

Re:

Postby DEVILSAN » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:39 am

djdabaer wrote:I added a thread for PERL Here

-Jeremy

it says I am forbidden to access it !!!
PRO Level 13