A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

What to Make?

What to Make?

Postby jonnywright » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:18 pm

Teaching myself to program is proving difficult! I get taught Delphi (Pascal) at college but dispise it. Im very fond of VB and know the very basics of it. Only thing is the only way i find i can learn a language is to go an write a program! No amount of tutorials seem to work. Only thing is im all out of ideas for things to make! Anyone got any simpleish ideas of challenges for me? ^*^ im all out of ideas! Many thanks

-Jonny
Banned

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:31 pm

php & html would probably get you a very good start on web languages. Web is just my speciality though.

I'm sure some of our other programmers could give you some tips on others.

If you ever want practice... let us know, we'd love to have some scripts written, as we're actually looking to build a script/web team now.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby jonnywright » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:35 pm

I know a fair bit of ASP aswell but very keen to learn more! Are php and ASP much different?
Banned

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:36 pm

Actually you should find them pretty similar, and likely you'll prefer one over the other. At my real job we use asp, but I personally think php is much more flexible, and that's what this forum is made up of.

Both have their ups and downs. Eric (epeter) is our php guru, so he likely will know the biggest differances. I'll let him respond on that ;)
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:41 pm

Fixed your avatar by the way :)
President

Postby Weaver » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:48 am

Hey man if you are zealous about doing something worthy with your skills we would love an able bodied person to give us a hand on some of our upcoming projects that are currently in the works.

If you are familiar with HTML (and can design a halfway decent looking page, CSS knowledge preferred) then you are just what we are looking for. If you are interested, let me (us) know by posting or send a PM.

Thanks.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts