A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Support Advisory! Microsoft Word and Excel will not start

Support Advisory! Microsoft Word and Excel will not start

Postby MinusDriver » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:59 pm

After January 7, 2004, your computer slows down and Microsoft Word and Excel will not start

Situation:
Symantec is currently investigating reported computer slow-downs and instability. This issue appears to be related to VeriSign receiving an unusual number of requests by Windows-based clients to download a certificate revocation list (CRL) on January 7-8, 2004. This increase in traffic resulted in intermittent VeriSign CRL server availability. For security purposes, Symantec products routinely verify the integrity of system components. At times they were unable to achieve the authentication they were seeking because of the unavailability of VeriSign's server, resulting in delays and instabilities. Symantec and other vendors are cooperatively working with VeriSign to mitigate this situation.

At this time we have not received any reports that Symantec Enterprise products are affected by this problem.

Solution:

VeriSign has posted an explanation of the situation on their Web site. Once your computer can establish a connection to the VeriSign server, your Web browser should automatically download and install the updated Certificate Revocation List (CRL).

In the event that your Web browser does not automatically retrieve the updated CRL, an updated version of VeriSign's Root Certificate Authority, and instructions for installing it, are available on the VeriSign Web site.

:source: Symantec

I'm posting this because I've had calls from clients and users in the field that have been having this problem. It sounds like it's making it's rounds and causing a lot of headaches. :x
PRO Level 13

Postby UNIX2008 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:10 am

Thats really unsual, almost like something out of a bad hacker movie. Oh well my Word and Excel work great and my computer runs bettter than ever.
PRO Level 5

Return to Security & Virus